lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
SMTTT
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio installation questions

I'm getting ready to install a stereo in my Ruff & Tuff NEV2. Due to limited dash and storage space, I've pretty much settled on an overhead console. I like the Pro Series from Custom Cart Audio as far as everything I've looked at and I was wondering if anyone has one of these and if they like it. Here's the link: http://customcartaudio.com/cca.aspx

Also, the Tractor Tunes console (similar complete console setup) has an install video on this page: http://www.tractortunes.com/CMS/inde...-install-video Within the video the installer says to clamp on to the wires leading to a 12V power supply (cigarette lighter type) using scotch clamps. That's the first I've heard of doing it this way but it seems to make a lot of sense. My cart has a dedicated 12V power supply so this would seem to be much easier and cheaper then buying a dedicated battery or converter. I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks to using these scotch clamps and basically piggy backing off an existing 12V line.

Any help would be appreciated.
SMTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Radio installation questions

Welcome to BGW!

Scotch clamps should be removed from the market. They're easy, quick to install, and fail within months. Other than that, I hate them. If it's a simple head unit go ahead and piggyback your 12v supply in the dash as long as it can supply the current needed for the stereo. If in doubt, run new 14g wires to the convertor or battery, be sure to fuse the circuit too.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
SMTTT
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info GORNOMAN. I went a completely different route and took the cart to a local car stereo dealer and had a radio/ipod player installed. As I mentioned above I have a 48v to 12v reducer on the cart that runs the lights, horn, 12v power supply etc. When I picked up the cart he tells me that the radio will lose it's memory everytime I turn the ignition off. I'm pretty sure he piggy backed off the 12v accessory plug in. He recommended I buy a 16v to 12v reducer that he would hook up for me to keep the radio with constant power. My new question is why do I need to buy another reducer when theres a better one on the cart already? It's rated at 30amps. I turned the ignition to off and tested the red wire coming out of it and it had power with the ingnition off. I don't have a multi meter but the reducer said the red wire was the output. Is it safe to wire the radio all the way back past the ignition and hook in right as the wire leaves the reducer? As it's wired now, when I turn the lights on, with the radio on, the speedometer goes all the way to the right and funny display shows on the odometer. It does this normally when you first turn the ignition on.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Just some thoughts:

My cart has no reducer, I tap off of 6v batteries #7 & #8 for my 12v supply. My previous stereo had a memory function and was wired to stay alive at all times to preserve the memory. No problems. My new stereo wired the same way killed those 2 batteries in a week sitting idle in the garage. I rewired it to be switched manually and accepted the fact that I lose the memory when I kill the circuit manually. It's a nuisance, but I live with it. My point is, these newer stereos seem to keep more than the memory alive with that third wire, perhaps even the amp circuit is on standby. Adding a second convertor is PROBABLY gonna drain those 2 batteries and cause a battery imbalance issue.

I wish I had my old head unit!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
SMTTT
Not Yet Wild

Great... one more thing to worry about. Thanks for the heads up though. I think I'll just wire the 3rd line (for the memory) back to the reducer and see how it goes. With it pulling from all 6 batteries, I'm hoping it will be fine. If not, I'll just disconnect it and deal with it like you're doing.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Keep an eye on pack voltage during idle time. The reducer may stay active to keep the memory alive and cause a drain on the pack when idle. Let us know what happens with your setup as it is valuable info for others.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I just thought of something, hard as that seems.
relay the radio and add a small radio shack battery pack(2 6 volt transistor bats)
behind the relay to carry the memory, do they make nicad 6 volters/
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
I just thought of something, hard as that seems.
relay the radio and add a small radio shack battery pack(2 6 volt transistor bats)
behind the relay to carry the memory, do they make nicad 6 volters/
I like the idea, DOOms, but if the memory brought down my 2 GC batteries in a week, can you imagine how fast it would take down a pair of dry cells?
Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I like the idea, DOOms, but if the memory brought down my 2 GC batteries in a week, can you imagine how fast it would take down a pair of dry cells?
DOOms may be onto something here.
There may be a problem with your wiring or stereo to draw your batteries down in a week. My ski boat can sit for 2 months and still start.
I did a test before I installed the stereo and it draws .07 amps with the radio off and the memory on.

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
SMTTT
Not Yet Wild

Here's some related discussion about the same problem in the boating world:

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/inde...howtopic=11029

Not sure how you've got your 2 power wires connected GORNOMAN but according to a couple of guys in this thread the key is to have the main power behind a switch (in my case the ignition) and the memory lead directly to the battery (or in my case the reducer). You may be way ahead of me on this, I'll admit to being pretty ignorant when it comes to all things electrical.

Tags
pro series, radio, scotch clamp, stereo, tractor tunes
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts