lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default camshaft timing

I got curious yesterday and pulled the side cover off my VC clone when I did the camshaft fell out of its mount. I know I need to line up the timing marks on the gears but I have a question. The cam moves at half the speed of the crank therefor if I line up the marks, turn the crank one full rotation then the cam mark is 180 degrees away, if I pull the cam out turn it 180 degrees and realign the marks the lobes on the shaft are in a different position. I guess the question is does it matter, or should the cam lobes be in a certain position when I line up the marks?
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: camshaft timing

Don't forget the balance shaft marks also.You probably have to use the camshaft in the indicated position for that to be in sync.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

yea the balance shaft has a mark that has to be lined up also, however the mark on the crank gear is directly under the mark for lining up the cam shaft so you cant line them all up at once. I'm wondering if you line the marks up for the balance shaft then turn the crank 3/4 turn clockwise and then line up the mark on the top gear for the cam with the cam
Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by didjidude View Post
yea the balance shaft has a mark that has to be lined up also, however the mark on the crank gear is directly under the mark for lining up the cam shaft so you cant line them all up at once. I'm wondering if you line the marks up for the balance shaft then turn the crank 3/4 turn clockwise and then line up the mark on the top gear for the cam with the cam
Yep
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

But still the crank and balance gears go round at twice the speed of the cam gear which means the cam could be 180 degrees off depending on if, when aligning the crank and balance shaft gears, the crank is in it's 1st or second rotation. This puts the exhaust and intake lobes in different positions. Does it matter? Am I over thinking this?
Old 01-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
fisherj21
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

just spin the crank so that the piston is at top dead center and the align the marks on the crank and cam so that the valves would be in a closed position (lobes facing downwards) and that should be good
fisherj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yeah I think you're over thinking this. The cam is what determines the cycle of operation (intake/exhaust). So as long as the piston is at the top, and marks line up, the cam will do the rest as far as when the valves open/close vs. intake/exhaust etc. Just make sure you line up those marks. The balancer isn't as critical, although you want it to be properly aligned as well. If that's off it will just vibrate. Some racers run without a balancer, I've heard. But I used mine. Rotate it around by hand a couple times, as long as your spark plug is out and the pushrods and rockers are off, it will rotate nice and easy. You won't be able to get the cam in with the valvetrain installed anyway. Just remove the springs and rockers. You can observe the marks on all three crank, cam, balancer and verify it's all lined up correctly. You can also watch for clearance at this time. Once you put the side cover on it will tighten and align the gears and it will rotate much smoother. Once you are sure it's good to go, assemble and torque to spec. I had to use goop on my side cover, it leaked without it. Some have good luck with a new gasket, me not so much. Grey permatex. Also clean all your side cover bolts with a wire brush and solvent, and use blue thread locker.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by didjidude View Post
But still the crank and balance gears go round at twice the speed of the cam gear which means the cam could be 180 degrees off depending on if, when aligning the crank and balance shaft gears, the crank is in it's 1st or second rotation. This puts the exhaust and intake lobes in different positions. Does it matter? Am I over thinking this?
If you are convinced that the cam could be 180 off, disengage the crank from the cam, rotate the either the crank or the cam until the marks line up again, and see if either one is in a different spot. Trust us, it won't be.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the help. Now one one more question, the gear on the crank is cut on an angle should those marks line up as you put the cam in or when the cam is seated all the down (the mark on the cam moves slightly as the gear goes down.)
Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #10
Streetbu
Gone Wild

Club Car

When it is all the way seated the marks should line up.
Streetbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps