lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

Default Lithium Conversion

Ok I have an 99 EZGO DCS. Itís has a 500 amp Altrax controller and a high torque EMP motor with heavy wires and solenoid. Lifted cart with big tires and a bed for hauling. How much trouble is the conversion and what is the cost. My Trojans are 5 years old. Iím going to have to buy batteries soon. I use my cart for deer hunting in hilly terrain.
Snuffy1757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Conversion

For a battery with enough capacity to handle what you are looking for it will likely run you around $2000-$2500 depending on what you go with.

48v cart I presume?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
For a battery with enough capacity to handle what you are looking for it will likely run you around $2000-$2500 depending on what you go with.

48v cart I presume?
Yes 48V. Heck a new set of 8 volt Trojans will cost you 1300.00.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

And you'll be replacing them again in 5 years. Go for lithium now, enjoy the increased performance and zero maintenance from now and not think about replacing your batteries for at least 10 years, more likely 20+.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #5
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

So what all is involved to make the switch to lithium?
Old 10-24-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Purchase a drop in kit from a reputable supplier, remove the old batteries, drop in the Lithium setup. Maybe some dash cutting for a new State of Charge meter and rewiring of the 12v accessories if you have any, but that's it.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:39 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just check to make sure the lithium battery you buy will provide the power YOU need from YOUR cart driving YOUR terrain.

Check the batteries spec's on a few key numbers. The "Maximum continuous discharge current amps" and the "Max discharge peak current amps" are two key numbers you want to look at.

For this battery (I just picked one at random...I don't have a dog in this fight) https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...-60ah-3-06kwh/ it's rated at "Max Continuous" of 160amps and "Max Discharge Peak" of 360amps for 6 seconds. What this means is should your cart\controller\motor demand more than the Max Continuous of 160amps, you now come under the "Max Peak" discharge of 360amps (well....over 160amp up to 360amp) for 6 seconds.

Now, 6 seconds is really a long time to draw over 160 amps. What you may want to do...since you have an Alltrax Controller (and this is what I'd do) is get a laptop that uses Windows (I have a really old Dell just for this), download the Alltrax software, hook up the laptop to the Controller and go for a ride on your "usual" path\course\whatever and have the software obtain the amp draw from your ride. It's a large file as it records a "bunch" of data for every second you are riding.

Then, open up the file and look at the amps your cart is using. If you are riding along on a flat surface, you may be drawing 60\80\100amps. But on a steep hill, maybe you draw 300amps or more. (My old file shows a short max amp draw of 392amps for a short time of maybe 2 seconds. Here's a snapshot of my old data file. You can see throttle position, output current & battery current. Those (for me) are the important pieces of info. And BTW, on an Alltrax Controller you can set it so the max amps your cart can draw is a top amount of 500amps (your controller is rated at 500amps)....and set it for less amp draw. So, even if your motor is "demanding" 350amp...you can set the controller to allow a max draw of say.....220amp. This will decrease "performance"....but in reality it may not be noticeable. And this will allow a longer run time on a charge....and help prevent a BMS shutdown if your cart is demanding more of the "continuous" discharge rate.

Anyway......after all of my non-professional dribble, I do hope this helps. And BTW....Lithium has made a huge difference in my carts performance....and even "more better" is the almost zero maintenance that needs done. I hope this helps!

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What Dave said with one addition. It'll take less power to move your lithium cart because it'll be around 300 pound less. So driving up that big hill may take 390 amps but when the cart weighs less it may take 350 amps (wild guess but you get the idea).

On my lithium cart, flat level pavement, continuous 24mph is 70 amps continuous draw. Really hard accel that pulls the front right wheel off the ground took 304 amps for a half second.

Watch out for Amp Hour capacity too. That's the equivalent of how much 'gas is in the tank'. I have 94ah and most people opt for 100ah or more so I'm close. But if you're expecting to push the cart in the woods (no idea how far you drive offroad) you may want more.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 04:06 PM   #9
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
What Dave said with one addition. It'll take less power to move your lithium cart because it'll be around 300 pound less. So driving up that big hill may take 390 amps but when the cart weighs less it may take 350 amps (wild guess but you get the idea).

On my lithium cart, flat level pavement, continuous 24mph is 70 amps continuous draw. Really hard accel that pulls the front right wheel off the ground took 304 amps for a half second.

Watch out for Amp Hour capacity too. That's the equivalent of how much 'gas is in the tank'. I have 94ah and most people opt for 100ah or more so I'm close. But if you're expecting to push the cart in the woods (no idea how far you drive offroad) you may want more.
I got maybe another year or so left in my T875 Trojans. I think Iím going with the 48/105ah ECO unless something changes my mind. Weight is actually a concern. I hunt on some pretty step terrain. Iím concerned the weight loss will cause tire spin even with the plowmanís posi.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:03 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy1757 View Post
I got maybe another year or so left in my T875 Trojans. I think Iím going with the 48/105ah ECO unless something changes my mind. Weight is actually a concern. I hunt on some pretty step terrain. Iím concerned the weight loss will cause tire spin even with the plowmanís posi.
It wonít. Iíve had to sit in the center of my seat at times to get the posi to work, but Iíve never gotten stuckÖunless I shouldnít have been there in the first place!! But..thatís what a Warne winch is for.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO