lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

Default Parked my Marathon Friday night, Now nothing.

I have a 94 Marathon that I have been working on. Replaced batteries, lifted it, added some 23" tires, and pretty much done. I've noticed in the past couple weeks that sometimes when I put it in reverse I get nothing. I worked the forward and reverse switch back and forth a couple times and it would start working again. Well I think my luck ran out on that technique and now the cart is dead in the water. Does anyone have any pointers on what to look at first to get me back going? Thanks and great forum!
Weldit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
hucklburry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Parked my Marathon Friday night, Now nothing.

I'd ohm out that switch and see if its working, seems that it was talking to you the last couple weeks.
hucklburry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

Hey Huck, The forward and reverse switch? And by the way my electrical knowledge pretty much sucks.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

But on the other hand I am a master at following directions.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Sounds like the FNR switch. It's more mechanical than electrical. You might want to remove it and take a look at it. You should disconnect battery pack positive and negative first (after labeling them). And label the cables connected to the FNR switch, too.

Worn or loose contacts could cause your problem. As I recall (I don't have one right here in front of me), there's a bolt on the center shaft that can increase the pressure on the contacts - could be that's loose.

Good luck,

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

Yeah my buddy pulled the switch apart and cleaned it after the first few episodes and it helped but problem came back. I will check the bolt in the center. Either way I think I see a new switch in my future. Is there an upgrade for it or just go original parts? Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

Someone asked me if the solenoid was clicking. I hear a clicking noise but its the same when the key is on and off. Could this just be a clicking noise from the throttle cable and the solenoid is bad?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Before you take anything apart make sure you draw a diagram or take a picture with your smart phone. That way you will know how it goes back together.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
Weldit78
Not Yet Wild

Oh yeah JJANCE, I have so many pics in my phone from projects I'm waiting for my phone bill to go up. Pics are worth a thousand for sure. Thanks
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

If you've upgraded the cables, motor, and controller, then a heavy-duty FNR switch might be a good idea if you have to replace it. If not, then a stock replacement would probably be OK.

ScottieB (a site sponsor) probably has anything you'd need to fix your cart.

The other thing to check when you take the FNR switch out are the microswitch(es) mounted on the FNR. Look for a loose connection on the microswitch, or the bolts holding it onto the FNR frame being loose. When you move the FNR, the microswitch should activate one way or the other.

BTW, when the FNR is in reverse, does the backup beeper beep?
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO