lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: Voltage change

Voltage and RPM are proportional to each other. On paper theory going from 36 volts to 48 volts should increase rpm speed 25%. In practice it does not work that way because motors loose torque as RPM goes up.

Current is proportional to current. More current, more torque.

The kicker with DC motors is maximum torque occurs at 0 RPM and linearly drops off as RPM increases. In other words they are inversely proportional with respect to DC motors. AC motors are a different story.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ahh, went to the "dark side" huh...
Dang I hope so. BTW, which side is the dark side?
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Voltage and RPM are proportional to each other. On paper theory going from 36 volts to 48 volts should increase rpm speed 25%. In practice it does not work that way because motors loose torque as RPM goes up.

Current is proportional to current. More current, more torque.

The kicker with DC motors is maximum torque occurs at 0 RPM and linearly drops off as RPM increases. In other words they are inversely proportional with respect to DC motors. AC motors are a different story.
My calculator says the increase from 36V to 48V is 33%, but I agree the increase in RPM won't be quite that much.

However, the entire Torque/RPM curve moves the the right (Hypotenuse lengthens) and if the mechanical load remains the roughly same, it will be mighty close to it.

For example: I went from 24MPH to 28MPH (16.7% increase) when I went from 36V to 42V (16.7% increase).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO