lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Reduced battery life?

I have a customer that purchased a new pack of Trojan t-875's because he felt his old batteries were not giving him the range that they once did. Now, he has explained to me that the new Trojans are underperforming.

He mentioned to me when he purchased the pack that it seemed like there was a parasitic draw on the pack, he hoped the new pack would straighten things out. This gentlemen plays frequently and seems to be very dialed into his golf rig.

What is the most likely cause of this? Stuck solenoid? Bad microswitch keeping solenoid closed (Wouldn't key switch deactivate this)? Dragging brakes? Worn out charger not charging to capacity?

The cart is on the charger now and should be fully rested by the time I get there tomorrow.

The Cart is a 2000 G19UE
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Reduced battery life?

Extreme carbon buildup in the motor & commutator, using more power to do the same job it used to do? Original motor and controller i assume (you did not say otherwise). A parasitic load is easy to test for, but use a precharge resistor when making the last connection so you dont blow your meter.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, the cart is stock. He seems to believe that he is starting out at a deficit. I'll do some basic measurements over the next day or two. Fortunately, the cart belongs to one of my neighbors so it's just a few minutes away. My DC current meter is a clamp so I'm safe there!

I was thinking he might not be getting a full charge to begin with.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

The "MAC" charger is a good charger, but it cant hurt to compare it to some other charger to test if you can get your hands on a different one. Your clamp meter reads accurately with milliamps, mine cant (you must have a nicer one than mine).
Old 02-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #5
Nate
Gone Wild

What is the pack voltage 1 hour or more after the charger shuts off?
What is the amp draw at 15 MPH?
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I won't be able to get to the cart until tomorrow to check the basics out on it. I do know it's a new pack that was put into service because he was feeling the same thing with the old pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Pack voltage was at 49 when I arrived today. I obviously has been drawn down or was not fully charged. Charger coming right on and indicating 80% leads me to believe that it is being drawn down.

So, I noticed that that the solenoid doesn't click when you hit the pedal. it is always closed key on or off. It opens when I put the cart in tow. I'm not familiar with Yamaha. Does it have a switch like the one in an ezgo pedal box or a CC mcor that has failed or does the solenoid activate with the key switch?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

The solenoid is activated by, and powered by the controller. The tow/run switch provides positive power to the solenoid activation circuit, the controller provides the negative power to the solenoid activation circuit. When tow/run switch is on, Solenoid only normally activates under two conditions (with the exception of a brief "on" when the tow/run switch is first turned to "run")- 1: the user activates the keyswitch and the gas pedal, the controller activates the solenoid and begins moving, it would normally de-activate the solenoid after the user is no longer pressing the gas pedal and the cart stops moving, 2: Keyswitch on or off, if the cart begins to roll when not commanded to do so by the gas pedal, the controller activates the solenoid and applies full regen braking to keep the cart from rolling away, the controller will de-activate the solenoid after the cart has stopped rolling. The solenoid should not be on at all times whenever the tow/run switch, or keyswitch is on. Sounds like a controller problem if the wiring is not tampered with. Does not sound like a tow/run switch problem.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

So the controller sends voltage to the solenoid based on the position of the pedal? The sensor in the pedal is strictly position and no switching like the others. There's definitely some draw on the pack and that solenoid always drawing would sure do it. The speed sensor wasn't connected however it doesn't look like it ever has been. Do you have any other suggestions of possibilities of things to check, what would one replace this with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
kawasaki
Gone Wild
Tomberlin

new batteries have to break in before they can reach full capacity. Usually 20 cycles.
kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha