lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Reduced battery life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
If the controller is powered down the solenoid should default to open and close only when the controller tells it. If the positive power is removed from the controller and the solenoid remains closed that means the internal switching device that controls the solenoid is no longer listening to the controller's logic circuit.
As you mentioned, the controller controls the grounding of the solenoid, removing power from the controller should cause this ground circuit to shut power off even with the positive wire going to the solenoid.

As for the accelerator stop switch, you can check to see if it changes state when the accelerator is pressed. Typically they open when the accelerator goes to home position.
I see what you're saying now, thanks for that.

I'm not really in a position to start pulling things apart on this cart. I'm happy to do a couple of tests and if I could drill it down to a simple fix, I would do it. I will leave the heavier lifting to someone else, or if I can with 100% certainty say that a new controller would fix his problem I may go that route with him. I am not a cart tech but I am a tech person getting into the cart business. We at this time have no Yamaha dealers in the state and no independent golf cart repairman. The one independent repairman we had in Alb. just retired.

So I don't mean to question what you guys are saying, I just need to eliminate as many possibilities as I can as learn as much along the way as I can.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #22
Nate
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
So I don't mean to question what you guys are saying...
Question away, that's how we learn.

I understand not getting too into someone else's cart, especially when you are just lending a hand and not charging for service.

Sounds like you might have an untapped resource of business for golf carts, learn as much as you can from different perspectives! Good luck to you!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 PM   #23
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would rule out the "start/stop" switch if the solenoid does not turn off when the keyswitch is turned off. The keyswitch has higher authority with the controller in regard to solenoid status than the start/stop switch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #24
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I would rule out the "start/stop" switch if the solenoid does not turn off when the keyswitch is turned off. The keyswitch has higher authority with the controller in regard to solenoid status than the start/stop switch.
After following the wiring diagram and studying it carefully I definitely see what you are saying. I guess at this point I'm not too sure what my next step will be.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #25
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

So if I am to understand this correctly, when the key is on, 48v is carried to the accelerator stop switch, which is N.O. When the pedal is pushed this switch closes delivering the 48v to pin 3 on the controller. The presence of this 48V on pin 3 causes pin 11 to connect to ground which completes the circuit and energizes the solenoid. Is this correct? If so, in theory couldn't I simply route my 48v from the start stop to the coil of a external relay and pass the solenoid ground through it en-route to a proper ground? This would basically be bypassing the internal relay which appears to have failed with an external relay with a 48v coil.

This cart runs fine, the controller appears to be working fine on all other levels.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #26
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It might work, but be sure to leave a connection to the pin3 on the controller. This would also remove the controllers ability to activate the solenoid during a "coasting to a stop/unintended movement/rolling away" for regen braking. I dont know what unintended side effects this may have (ie controller tries to regen, has no access to battery pack, fries itself). Try it at your own risk, i probably wouldnt. I would just get a alltrax.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #27
Nate
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
...couldn't I simply route my 48v from the start stop to the coil of a external relay and pass the solenoid ground through it en-route to a proper ground? This would basically be bypassing the internal relay...
This is similar to how the older series carts are wired. If the regen cart is wired this way the controller looses control over the solenoid. What happens if the controller looses this control? Regen braking and rollaway will not work... it will act like a series cart.
There might be a code thrown which could disable the controller. We could go into sending the proper fake signal to the controller and all but basically the cart works so we need to figure out a way to shut down all power drains when the key goes off and still allow the charger to charge.

Extra relay in the solenoid circuit like you suggested or another solenoid at B+ of pack wired to key switch.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

I can't imagine doing this, I'm just looking for options and finding solution helps me understand how things work. I think I have a much better understanding now.

I really appreciate the help on this.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #29
LarryLive
Gone Wild

If I were you I would give Don Plowman a call at 810736-1100. Don is one of the BGW site sponsors as well as one of the best Yamaha guys out there.
LarryLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #30
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well I've decided to try the external relay to correct this problem. I figure I've got little to lose and the cost for parts is under 10 bucks. Should be able to wire it in in about 15 minutes of time. If it doesn't work or causes additional controller problems an aftermarket (Alltrax) will be installed.

I will post some details once I get the relay and put together a harness to tie it in as well as the results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha