lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
goat farmer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default batteries getting weak fast

I've got an older EZgo that I've had now for about 8-9 years. It was used when I got it so I'm not sure of the age. I've gone threw a few new battery changes and now on my 3rd set now. I've check the charging system and the batteries are putting out over 37 volts total and check each one and they it said that they are good. This batteries are about 5-6 months old and giving me this problem from day one. I have new cables from battery to battery. When fully charged it runs ok not great but ok. After a day it has a hard time up a hill. I don't run it enough to charge it everyday. When I first got the cart I could go at least a week between charges. The batteries before where doing about the same and they where a cheaper brand and I though they where going bad. The guy that sold me the batteries said my motor might be going bad and another battery salesperson said it the batteries. Any ideas for me to check? Would the motor be ok the first charging day and weak the next?
goat farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: batteries getting weak fast

well part of your problem is the way you are charging your batteries. for starters, exactly what voltage is your pack at? a fully charges set, after they have rested 12 hrs. without being used should be 38.3 V. so if they are in the 37v range....they are not getting a full charge OR they are just starting to go south. You stated that you used to be able to go for a full week between charges.....the fact that you were using your cart and NOT plugging it in and charging it EVERY TIME after using it is a big mistake. The reason being that with the battery's being partially charged, they begin to sulfate, which causes deposits to form on the plates, which will not, allow over time, to get a full charge. So it appears to me that although your cart works just fine, the problem is in the way you maintain your batteries. You need to read and head the links below, and start maintaining your battery pack in this way......

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/How_Batteries_Work.html

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you've had the cart for about eight and a half years and the latest set of batteries are about half a year old, the previous two sets averaged about four years each, which is within the typical life expectancy range of 3-5 years.

Sounds like you are having battery issues rather than motor or cable issues, so let's find out if the batteries are being full charged and being charged frequently enough.

The last part of that question is the easy part, they ought to be charged after each use, or at least every night if the cart is used that day. If the cart isn't used for extended periods of time, the batteries need to be charged at least once a month whether cart is moved or not. (Or get a charger that goes into float charge after the regular cycle end and leave it connect to cart when cart isn't being driven.)

You mention the battery pack was putting out 37V. That is only 70% SoC (State of Charge) for a 36V pack. A full charge is 38.2V for Trojan batteries and clones. (Other brands have different SoC voltages)

The estimate the SoC, let the batteries rest about 12 hours after charger shuts off and then measure the voltage and look the SoC up on the attached chart.

As mentioned, a 36V pack should read 38.2V. Each 6V battery ought to read 6.37V and should all be withing 0.1V of each other.

Also, during normal operation, the pack should never be discharged below 50% SoC (36.31V) before recharging.

------------
What make/model batteries do you have?

What make/model charger are you charging them with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
goat farmer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was not sure if I should of mention the battery here, but they are suppose to be the better quality US Batteries. My charger is a ez go 36 volt charger. I called my friend that had to volt meter and he remember that they where at 37.2 and not fully charged when we checked. When we hook them up to charger it when up about 2 volts and slowly higher for a minute. The guy that sold them to me said to run them down the first time and then fully charge, do you think this is not correct?
By the way nice fridge, I've heard everything is bigger in TX.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat farmer View Post
I was not sure if I should of mention the battery here, but they are suppose to be the better quality US Batteries. My charger is a ez go 36 volt charger. I called my friend that had to volt meter and he remember that they where at 37.2 and not fully charged when we checked. When we hook them up to charger it when up about 2 volts and slowly higher for a minute. The guy that sold them to me said to run them down the first time and then fully charge, do you think this is not correct?
By the way nice fridge, I've heard everything is bigger in TX.
The guy that sold the batteries to you, sells batteries.

New FLA (Flooded Lead-Acid) deep cycle batteries ought to be fully charged prior to first use, only discharged to 75% SoC for first couple dozen charge cycles and then no more that down to 50% SoC for the remained of their life.

Since the batteries are made by US Battery, disregard the Trojan Battery SoC chart I posted and use the one attached instead, it is for US Battery batteries.

As you see, the voltage for 100% SoC is 0.3V higher, and the charger you are using might not be capable of fully charging US Battery products.

I suspect your cart is suffering from a double whammy. Batteries not being fully charged and not being charge often enough.

Get a charger that is designed to charge US Battery products and charge after each use.

This is the charger I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

It has user selectable charge profiles and US battery is one of them.

It also goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle ends, so it should be plugged into cart when cart isn't in use. That way you start each day with fully charged batteries and get the maximum lifespan before batteries have to be replaced.

BTW: No problems with fully describing the batteries or cart here. My cart and batteries are fully described in my signature block.
Attached Images
File Type: png US Battery SoC table.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
goat farmer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info
So you say if I only drive the cart maybe just 3-400 yards day I should charge it at night?
My cart is more of work cart than play one. It is jack up some with larger tires but not really for off road. I pretty much keep on drives. The batteries are the US 2200.
Now before I have to get another charger should I check each battery with a volt meter with the cables unhook to see if my charger is good enough?
If it comes to that I wish I would of gone ahead and got the Trojans. Is there a good place to find used chargers?
Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont need to remove cables. Just fully charge, wait 12 hours, then put test meter to each battery's terminals. Best new charger for the money is the DPI Accusense (about $350), it has user-selectable modes for different brand/types batteries. I dont know where to tell you to get a proper charger used.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat farmer View Post
Thanks for the info
1. So you say if I only drive the cart maybe just 3-400 yards day I should charge it at night?

2. My cart is more of work cart than play one. It is jack up some with larger tires but not really for off road. I pretty much keep on drives.

3. The batteries are the US 2200.

4. Now before I have to get another charger should I check each battery with a volt meter with the cables unhook to see if my charger is good enough?

5. If it comes to that I wish I would of gone ahead and got the Trojans.

6. Is there a good place to find used chargers?
Thanks for all the help.
1. That is a tough one. If it was a mile or two, yes, but for only driving it less than 0.1 mile a day, I can only recommend contacting US Battery and asking them. http://usbattery.com/

2. Even on level groomed trails, if you carry or tow moderately heavy loads and have tall tires, you might be using a considerable amount of the stored electrical energy in just 300-400 yards. By measuring the SoC before and after use, you can get a rough idea of how much energy is used.

3. Attached are the charging recommendations US Battery publishes.

4. As CG mentioned, you don't have to disconnect the cables.

5. The good news is that US 2200 batteries are good batteries.

6. The bad news is that there aren't many used US Battery compatible chargers out there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Throwing this out there. Are you sure all the battery wires are connected in the proper order? I hooked one up wrong the other day. neg to neg and it ran just not great.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO