lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Has my speed sensor been discontinued??

Your voltage drop under load of up to 6 volts is kind of high. That suggests weak batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #12
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
what the overall pack reading for a good pack should be
After 12 full hours off the charger - 51v is a very good reading. However - that still won't identify a battery which is collapsing under load. Only the individually measured battery volts-under-load/uphill test can determine that.
Quote:
I have at least 1 of them big coils
You will have only one - its for dynamic braking. If you wanted to restore regen at some stage - download and print the Regen 2 circuit diagram from HERE (its labelled Club Car DS Regen 1999-2002 Wiring) - trace the wiring and test the solenoid. On your cart - merely clipping and capping one wire can disable regen.
Quote:
what would it have been modified for
Speed during normal operation. Regen is both a governor (dynamic braking) and a hill/runaway brake - if you are zooming slightly downhill it will intervene and slow the cart to about 13-14 mph. It will also stop a runaway if the parking brake accidentally releases while the cart is stopped unattended on a hill. It will limit speed to about 1 mph (this is a different circuit which should STILL be intact in your cart - even if the coil/solenoid has been bypassed). Since you said you can shove the cart forward while the key is on - your sensor must not be working - or an important wire in the sensor circuit has been disabled.
Quote:
few people at the campground suggest new motor brushes
In my experience....no - not brushes. If the brushes were failing you would likely hear persistent (very noticeable) whining while driving, OR as one of my friends experienced with his Yamaha - you would notice weird pulses during slow acceleration. The odds that brushes cause a lack of torque is very small indeed.

I don't have the knowledge and experience that many on this forum have - but if i'm misleading you, someone will step in and help us both out.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 PM   #13
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So it looks like have some i investigating to do this weekend in my cart. Joesam after what u just posted on your freinds cart having weird pulses at low speeds leads me to think I.may have more than one issue going on with my cart. This is my first cart and just thought it was normal operation, but trying to keep a very low speed is kinda tough, u can either go really slow maybe 2mph, but if u push the throttle just a hair more it gets kinda jerky and makes u have to push it down a little more to bring u up to maybe 6mph or so. there doesn't seem to be a smooth in between. As regarding battery pack voltage I've never had it above 50.3 after sitting for 12 hrs. I will hook up a volt meter to each battery this weekend and test each one up a hill, what is a suitable voltage for an 8v battery under a load?
Jayts508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, I am going to purchase a set of 4g battery wires from eBay, for the price it doesn't sound like a bad idea to replace them all to at least rule one thing out
Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Those eBay kits are often incomplete. Remember you'll need motor wires too. I recommend you buy cables from one of this forums sponsors to ensure quality and completeness. If a battery is failing it will show dramatically lower volts than its companions.

Edit: Your Regen 2 cart has a multi-step potentiometer - that means it will accelerate in "steps" - later models were smoother with continuously variable potentiometers (MCOR). I still don't think you have bad brushes.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #16
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/301867337052. This is what I was looking at. It says welding wire which I know is what I should be looking for. Are these crap?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #17
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

On the surface they seem OK, but I'm not a wire expert AT ALL! Sure are cheap. While your digging around your cart (and before buying these) - count and record the length of each of your large diameter wires. At the very least, your lengths are liable to be different being a Regen 2. Regen 2 was in production for a very short period of time. You may need a custom set.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #18
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

One other thing on your cart. If the solenoid on the drivers side fails the coil becomes the only path for current. This will make the cart really slow and the coil will get really hot.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Anytime those old carts experience a severe slow down going up a Hill (lack of power), I would suspect the 'Energy Displacement" solenoid as well.

Next time You go up a hill, keep the pedal all the way down, when you get on top of the hill, stop the cart and check the coil.

If the coil is glowing hot, that is your problem.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
Jayts508
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I checked the voltage of each battery going up hill, at stand still they all read about 8.2 but uphill 3 of them dropped down to 7.2, 1 of them dropped to 7 and 2 of them dropped to 7.9. the whole pack voltage at standstill was 50.3 and the whole pack voltage dropped down to 43-45 uphill. After driving full throttle uphill a while I felt the battery cables, the ones that link the batteries together were a little warm, not hot. The 2 longer cables weren't warm. The battery compartment itself seemed to have some heat coming from it not sure if that's normal.. I also felt the coil after getting uphill and it wasn't hot or warm at all. While I as driving around with the access panel off I did notice there is a "whine" coming from the motor itself, not super loud but now that I heard it it's very noticeable to me now

Tags
club car speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car