lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need help checking Powerwise charger

I have an 1997 EZGO year old batteries that is not getting a full charge. The charger that came with it used to be very loud when it kicked out and now it is a very subtle hum. Please let me know what I can do to troubleshoot this charger. I've learned a lot about golf carts since rebuilding mine but will admit that I've never even looked at the charger. Thanks in advance!
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help checking Powerwise charger

When you plug in the charger to the cart does the amp gauge jump fully to the right? Around 20 amps?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
When you plug in the charger to the cart does the amp gauge jump fully to the right? Around 20 amps?
OK I just got the opportunity to look at it. The amp gauge barely moves at all. Like maybe 1 amp is all.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is what I'm looking at. I can't find anything that the red wire should be connected to.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

1 amp, not charging. From here you need to check some stuff. Youll need a meter
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
1 amp, not charging. From here you need to check some stuff. Youll need a meter
I have a meter and I checked continuity on just about everything I could think of. All good. It's obviously something I'm not seeing.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You check the diodes?
Capacitor is another part that will cause your issue.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The red wire you are pointing out usually goes to the very small black wire that goes to the timer/charge computer. That red wire sometimes breaks in the cord and a tech will reroute the black wire to the back of the amp gauge as was done on your charger to save a customer the cost of a new DC cord. don't worry about it, it's fine.

As for the charger not coming on, Golf Cart Guy is correct that the diodes and Capacitor should be checked. It's a little hard to tell from your pics, but I suspect the Capacitor. Looking at it from a level position, are the 2 black plastic rings on the top of it straight up and down like this l l or are they leaned away from each other like this \ / ? If they are leaning out, the capacitor is blown.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
You check the diodes?
Capacitor is another part that will cause your issue.
To say that I am a novice would be an overstatement of my experience. Are the diodes in my pictures? Can you point them out and tell me how to test them?

Quote:
As for the charger not coming on, Golf Cart Guy is correct that the diodes and Capacitor should be checked. It's a little hard to tell from your pics, but I suspect the Capacitor. Looking at it from a level position, are the 2 black plastic rings on the top of it straight up and down like this l l or are they leaned away from each other like this \ / ? If they are leaning out, the capacitor is blown.
I'll look more closely at that tonight. I've looked them up and it seems like the pricing on those is all over the place. I want to make sure that I get the right one but don't want to get screwed over and overpay because I don't know what I'm looking for.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #10
TexasLongball
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I checked them out and they don't seem to be leaning out as you mentioned. I don't mind buying a new capacitor but I want to make sure I get the one I need and not overpay simply because I don't know what to buy. Can anyone direct me to the capacitor that I may need?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO