lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Batteries overflowing

Got a problem! I filled up the batteries yesterday. I filled them until the little notch inside of the holes...not all of the way up to the top of the lip. I plugged the charger in today, and just went to the garage to mess around and there was a large puddle under the cart with "water" on top of the batteries. Is this normal, did I screw them up, should I be washing my feet off before they melt away??? Please let me know asap! Thanks!!
toothninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Batteries overflowing

It's acidic, get it off your skin & neutralize it with baking soda ASAP (and your garage floor too). 2 problems here. First- never add water to a battery that's not already fully charged, unless it's below the plates, then just cover the plates. Second- filling into the neck is too full, should be between a quarter inch above the plates, and a quarter inch below the neck (when batteries are Fully charged). Expect more of this juice next time you charge.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #3
cgtech

Yamaha

My best suggestion is this. Take a Gatorade bottle (or other bottle with real stiff sides), and a straw from an aerosol can and make one of these. Use it to suck some fluid back out of each cell. Keep this fluid and use it for top-offs until it's gone. The reasoning behind this hassle is this- your batteries have the same acid in them for their lifetime, they only normally lose (and get refilled with) water through electrolysis. They don't normally make or lose acid, just water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_183321636.jpg (57.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not to be repetitive but I will, because it is important.

Mix up some baking soda and water as was suggested by cgtech. I use a cheap disposable paint brush and paint the mixture all over the tops of the battery's. Let it run down the sides of the batteries and get the battery
trays also. If you keep mixing and washing with baking soda it will stop bubbling when all the acid is neutralized. Then you can rinse with lots of water from your hose.
Another solution for sucking a little water out of each battery is a turkey baster. I used the one from our kitchen just once and then my wife said I could have it and she bought a new one, LOL

Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Yep, done the turkey baster too, but it can dribble fluid from it pretty easily. The rubber ball doesn't last long either, but it's cheap. It totally works tho. The jug I showed has little chance of dripping (a big problem for me, with customer carts). I guess I am slanted on my opinion for those because if it doesn't last long, it's just a pain in my a__.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My feet could use a little softening, but ehhh, maybe not too much! Lol!! I have now washed my feet with baking soda and water. I've dried the garage floor. I probably need to use the same baking soda/water mixture and mop the garage floor. I realize I put too much water in the batteries, the charge was not low, I literally drove to the mailbox like 100 yards away and back and that's it. But You live and you learn, unless your feet melt to the knees!! ��

Last edited by toothninja; 03-25-2017 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the rapid reply btw...I really appreciate it!!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

EZGO states in there manual....Top off batteries AFTER charging
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
toothninja
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Let's just say- After cleaning up the puddle under the cart last night and dissolving some skin on the bottom of my feet, this morning I sucked a whole gallon of excess battery acid/water off of the six batteries...umm, yeah a whole gallon... I kept the gallon of fluid to replenish when they get a little low. That was a fun little adventure, and hopefully I didn't kill the batteries...hopefully... Thanks to all for helping me out!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the acid stained your garage floor....and it bothers you, try using toilet bowl cleaner to remove the stains. I had some acid stains on my driveway that were rust colored and the toilet bowl cleaner removed most of it.
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO