lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default So.....I try to give a local guy some business..........

Well, I mean here's the deal. (Lemme vent a bit). First of all I'm disabled and I can't do any "heavy" work on my cart. In the past I have paid my B-I-L but the last 3 years I have paid my nephew who has gone thru mechanics school and is very good. Now nephew is buying a house with GF and has "house stuff" to contend with. I know he will need money soon, but I'm not sure if it's this summer or not.

So, I need to get a Plowman's LTD slip installed. Why? "Cause my EZ-GO is worn out. I'm not gonna pay for another EZ-GO 'Cause they don't work in reverse. Plowman's do.

I look around in my "local" area and it's "slim pickings" for a quality cart guy. "Quality" being the key word. The only one I found is about a 2 hour drive and his web site page for "Service" http://www.golfcartsunltd.com/service.html says "If your carts need routine or special maintenance, call us at..." So, I call him. I chat with the owner and tell him I want a Plowman's posi installed on my cart. He tells me he never heard of 'em. Ok....I give him the web site. He will look and call me back on Monday.

Fast Forward to Monday (today). He looks at the site and says "they are all Yamaha" I said no....they are also EZ-GO. Well, Plowman's site also states that they will "machine" the gears and this guy (and frankly me to) did not understand what that meant. http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1490901156&v=2

Well, as I was typing this, Don Plowman called me back. Don explained to me that the "machining" part was where the back or "flat" part of the spyder gear is machined FLAT so that when said spyder gear engages with the clutch material, you get 100% ENGAGEMENT. Easy concept. It's the same thing when I have sent away my long range rifle action to have my rifle bolt "trued and timed" to the action. The "trued" part is where the back of the bolt lugs are machined so the lugs get 100% engagement to the rifle action....so when the trigger is pulled, the bolt face remains perfectly square to the rifle action, and the bullet flies perfectly straight down the barrel. See? Simple!!

Also, Don states that "gear oil" and clutch material do not get along AT ALL. It's not a theory.....it's a FACT. So, this is why ALL of the inside of the axle and punkin MUST be removed of any gear oil residue. Then the synthetic oil he provides will not break down the clutch material....and the magnet he provides will pick up any metal chips that happen to get made by "roughen" cart drivers!!

However...(this is the vent part) as I was hanging up with the "local vendor this guy says "Well, I don't know if I want to install some other guys parts 'cause if it breaks then I have to deal with that and besides I don't make a lot of money on labor, I make money on parts and bla, bla, bla, bla. This last part of my phone conversation really stuck in my head. So, being a CPA and consulting with small business for my entire working life, I have a good, if not ingrained understanding that a small business must make a profit in order to stay alive and remain viable. (as does any business) I never ask the guy to do "something for nothing."

My other "options" are to either strong arm my nephew into "doing the deed", or dragging my cart up to Plowman's. Don Plowman's shop is 1.5 hour north of where my Son Lives. Don said it would be in his shop for about 2 weeks. Yeah...his busy time of year. (Tax season anyone?)

Ok. I'm vented. Thanks for letting me exhale!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: So.....I try to give a local guy some business..........

Yeah - frustrating. Call the nephew & tell him what the other guy said and how you need this for hunting season. And how how you really wanted him to do it because he has done such good work in the past + your willing to put a little extra $ in it for him cuz you know he has expenses with the new house.... you'll get him
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
Dsiekman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Look at it this way, if he was completely unaware of the part, you probably don't want him installing it. Granted, it would have been a little more professional on his part to have said, "you know, I am unfamiliar with what you are asking for and do not want to promise something I cannot deliver so you're probably better taking it elsewhere". Then perhaps suggest an "elsewhere".

If you take it to the Man'f, at least you know it will be done right and without a middle man even if it is a PITA.
Dsiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One other option is to offer a higher labor rate, so he can be comfortable. I don't know how complicated a posi rear end is, but a normal one can be done by just about anyone who can turn a wrench.

Again, maybe a Posi rear end is a totally different beast, as far as installation.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yeah - frustrating. Call the nephew & tell him what the other guy said and how you need this for hunting season. And how how you really wanted him to do it because he has done such good work in the past + your willing to put a little extra $ in it for him cuz you know he has expenses with the new house.... you'll get him
Yeah.....this may be the best move. Installing the limited slip is not difficult. DIY Golf Carts has a video on installing the EZ-GO.

The Plowman's has probably twice the clutch material of the EZ-GO and unlike the EZ-GO....it works in reverse...and for a guy who is disabled, that is really key!!

I will take ScottyB's advice and ply my nephew with cold hard cash. Heck....when I was his age, cheap beer and liquor worked with me.....so greenbacks should be a no-brainer!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO