lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT

I'm still working on my low speed torque issue and I'm wondering if it's practical to change my 500 A Sevcon with a comparable Altrax controller. On the surface it seems to be advantageous to be able to access the programming with just a laptop vs. dedicated programmers like Sevcon and Curtis require.

Don't really know if this would help but at least I could diddle with the program setting. I would also like to increase the amount of regen braking.
bluwtr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacing a Sevcon 6337T45303 Controller with an Altrax XCT

I don't believe there is a replacement Alltrax for the Sevcon control. Call Alltrax tech support to confirm 541-476-3565
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Installing any brand of regen controller would technically be possible. Your problem will be programming it for the current motor, but the biggest issue is matching up all the wires in the 16 pin connector for the wiring harness. I attached the diagram for it though, and all the 16 pins for the sevcon are basically the same. You'll want page 8 of the wiring pdf.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. Replacing the connector should not be horrible but you're right about the programming. I'm hoping that CPC can supply the motor profile and original programming data that can be used as a guideline.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

When/if you think you're ready, get me the VIN of the unit you have, and I will pm you the data you might need.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, that would be much appreciated. Once I have some info, I'll contact Altrax and see what they think.

Vin: P4SF45YGO230
Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Here is the original programming of that controller. It shows the current and voltage, and also the motor inductance, field and armature settings.

All carts are basically the same outside of the controller....a motor, a potbox/linear device, batteries, a meter and a chassis. Other than wiring nightmare it isn't non-doable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B2_71_LAD_P4SMT_500A_02.pdf (18.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

That is great information, thanks alot. Looking at the programming features of Altrax vs. Sevcon they are markedly similar so that should not be a big issue.

Any chance you can dig up some motor info?? I assume the motor has a speed sensor but I also need to have at least the rated max motor speed and armature/field max current ratings.

Thanks again for all you help.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Here you go. And keep in mind that just because it HAS a speed sensor doesn't mean it has to be in the programming, as with Sevcon we have the ability to turn it on or off and it really doesn't affect performance to a noticeable level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor Drawing HD.jpg (219.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor Ratings HD.pdf (15.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
bluwtr49
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the helpful information. It's great having this kind of resource available to us.

Speaking of the speed sensor, I didn't see any connections from the motor to the controller for the speed sensor. Wondering if that is the speed encoder noted on the motor wiring diagram. Altrax, like Sevon allows for the sensor input to be turned on or off but they strongly advise against turning it off to prevent motor overspeed while coasting down a steep hill. Apparently additional regen braking is applied once the motor is a at the set max rpm. Also, speaking of the motor, is a a 4 or 8 pole??

In a different thread you explained how the front cowling could be removed and I'm wondering it is as simple to remove the rear body to allow easy access to the running gear.

Once again, all the tech assistance is greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar