lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #11
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club car 48v will not move

The way i tested the power to solenoid is by taking wires off of small pos side and small neg side of solenoid. I got 50v to the positive side every time (if solenoid clicks or not) same for testing yellow wire to neg side. I do get 50v at redcwire for controller. I have replaced solenoid already. Is it likely i got a bad solenoid.. Or could it be controller affecting solenoid?
Gregbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Controller plays no part in the Solenoid activation in a OEM Series cart.

Without seeing your solenoid to make sure it is the correct type or it is wired properly it is hard to say what is wrong.

I can say that if there is +48v between the small posts on the Solenoid (meter probes on each of the solenoid small posts) when You press the pedal and the Solenoid does not click, the Solenoid is bad.

Here is a simple and safe procedure to test the Solenoid on that cart:
Turn the Key switch OFF.

Put the FNR is Neutral so there is no chance of the cart running.

Measure the voltage across the Solenoid Big Posts, You should have a few volts due to the pre-charge resistor keeping the capacitors inside of the Controller charged.

Remove the red wire from Controller pin #1.

Run a wire jumper from that 1/4" quick connector you disconnected from the Controller to pack positive.

Every time You touch that wire to pack positive the Solenoid should "click" and the voltage across the Solenoid big posts should be 0v indicating the contacts are closing.

When you disconnect the wire jumper from pack positive the Solenoid should release (another click) and the voltage across the big posts should slowly climb to a few volts.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok sergio thanks. I will not be around cart until friday but i will let you know results. But to be clear the red jumper to positive pack or to positive side of solenoid. Do i need to hit pedal to get the yellow neg on small post to activate?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregbuch View Post
Ok sergio thanks. I will not be around cart until friday but i will let you know results. But to be clear the red jumper to positive pack or to positive side of solenoid. Do i need to hit pedal to get the yellow neg on small post to activate?
The red jumper will connect the wire You just disconnect from controller Pin #1 to pack positive.

The Solenoid negative side comes from the OBC and it is always there.

The positive side of the Solenoid is connected inside the harness to the Controller pin #1 wire that You will be jumping.

The pedal does need to be pressed for this test.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So if this test works than my problem is bad contacts on big post side of solenoid and solenoid should be replaced?
Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio i followed your solenoid test and nothing happened. So im assuming the solenoid is bad but when i use a volt meter on red controller wire with switch off and cart in n i get .4 volts unless i hit pedal than get 50. When i have volt meter on big posts it reads aroung 18v than goes to 50 when pedal is pushed. Im confused as to why it is acting correctly volt wise but will not click
Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It would help if You expand a little more on the "nothing happened", what voltage did You originally get across the resistor?

Also, with the key switch OFF there is no way to get voltage pressing the pedal since there is no power to the pedal micro-switch.

You said earlier the OBC was working, are You sure the negative side of the Solenoid is working?

Disconnect the yellow wire from the solenoid small post and run a new wire from that small post directly to pack negative.

Here is the diagram for your cart, make sure the cart is wired correctly:

Old 05-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When i did your test the solenoid does not click. I went up to a local dealer to talk to him about getting a solenoid and he says he thinks that the solenoid is good and the issue is the controller going into lock out and that is why it only clicks and moves an inch but then does nothing until after about 30 sec. Any thoughts. I have ran the jumper wire from neg pack to solenoid but still acts the same. I am getting voltage on the yellow wire.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #19
Gregbuch
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

When i have key off fnr in neutral i disconnected red wire from controller and used a jumper from that to pack positive and it would not click at all. I took volt meter and the voltage on that wire was like .4v. Until i turned key on and put in forward when i hit pedal it reads 50v. I put every thing back and put a volt meter on big posts of solenoid it reads around .4 v or higher. When i hit pedal it will click and climb to 50v the cart will move an inch. If i immediatly hit pedal the solenoid will not click but it still climbs up in voltage to 50v. If i wait sbout 30 sec it will click snd move an inch.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need a new solenoid, your tests indicate it is not closing when voltage is applied to the coil terminals.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car