lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
Cohibz
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 48V Club Car DS - Regen?

Hey all, great forum here, been reading quite a bit on here to try and help determine if my cart is Series, Regen 1, Regen 2, or IQ. From what I have gathered, I have a "Regen 1".

Link with a few pictures...
https://imgur.com/a/QH1KJ1D

Few observations...
  1. My unit has a toggle switch for F/R, without a plug on the bottom. From this, I ruled out Series.
  2. My unit has a speed sensor wire coming from one end of the motor. From this, I ruled out Series.
  3. My unit has small AWG wires (~18AWG) running to the F/R switch. From this, I ruled out Series.
  4. My unit doesn't have the tow/run switch, that I have found thus far. From this, I ruled out Regen 2.
  5. My unit does have a (2) separate solenoids, with one attached directly to the large gauge coil. I assumed this pointed me toward Regen 1.
  6. My unit does appear to have the v-glide style throttle position sensor. I assumed this pointed me toward Regen 1.
  7. My units motor has (4) equal sized terminals. From this, I ruled out Regen 2?

Serial # of cart starts with A9744-6....not sure if this helps.

Can anyone help me confirm that this is a Regen 1 cart?

Ultimately, I plan to put larger tires on this golf cart, probably 20" tires, or perhaps a bit more, but definitely no greater than 22"; I am researching lift types now. Future plans for the cart will be outdoor farm type use, riding through light timber and trails. I wanted to start planning (budgeting) for what I may need to do to increase motor torque.

My ultimate goal is to atleast maintain stock performance.

I understand that I am changing my final drive ratio, and could perhaps just change rear end ratio, but can one also buy a drop-in higher torque motor and keep all other electrical components stock? For instance, the Plum Quick 48v PQ48-437 Sepex Rhino? I was leaning toward a motor upgrade since I had read here somewhere that these Regen motors can build quite a bit of heat after increasing tire size.

What is the simplest approach to maintaining stock performance and reliability with larger, more aggressive tires? As an added bonus, a bit more top-end would be nice, but not necessary, perhaps get closer to 20mph, this one probably goes 12mph currently on stock 18" tires. It's definitely no IQ model.

Thanks!
Cohibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Cohibz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1997 48V Club Car DS - Regen?

Well, I just stumbled across David Hicks - Owner - Revolution Golf Cars website and have now determined that my cart must be a Regen 1, and likely needs upgraded to IQ before proceeding forward with any motor or controller modifications or upgrades.

If I bought a new controller, would I need to perform the Regen to IQ conversion first? Or, would an Alltrax XCT hook up to my system okay?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Man you have just stumbled across the best person you could find to advise you about your cart. If you can talk to him in person you got it made.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Second that.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #5
Cohibz
Not Yet Wild

Lol, miscommunication on my part. I stumbled across his website, not him in person.

Sorry about that.

I am still a bit confused, if I truly do have a Regen 1, it seems like I have to go through the process of upgrading it to an IQ before buying a different controller. I have seen folks on this forum, including David, mention what is required to convert to an IQ from a Regen. However, some of the Alltrax controllers seem to indicate that they work with a Regen 2, but no mention of Regen 1.

I’m going to have a lot of money wrapped into this upgrade .
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The regen 2 will work but not the regen 1. Best to change to IQ system. David is still the one you need to talk to.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

It is not hard to change out the Regen 1 System. You get an IQ wiring harness, add the MCOR, Run/Tow and a few other things, and then you are ready for the Alltrax controller and whatever else fits your needs.

David Hicks is the CC OEM Guru here and will save you both mentally and financially by calling him and getting his best deal and service.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Man you have just stumbled across the best person you could find to advise you about your cart. If you can talk to him in person you got it made.
This is absolutely true!
David spent time with me through email and on the phone to find out exactly what I will be using my cart for to put together the best system for my purposes. As you can see in my signature, my build is not exactly a run of the mill situation. He'll get you what you need and his customer service is second to none!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
Bluetick
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the same cart and just got a full kit from David. I called him several times in stalling it and he walked me right through the questions I had.Just have to finish putting the body back together been swamped at work hopefully finish up by next weekend. If you don't change motor and controller stick with the 20" tires I did 23s and it killed the torque I think it's like 27% decrease in torque going from 18 to 23 they don't tell you that when you buy a lift and tired feel free to message me
Bluetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Cohibz
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
..... If you don't change motor and controller stick with the 20" tires I did 23s and it killed the torque I think it's like 27% decrease in torque going from 18 to 23....
Good to know, I’ll certainly keep this in mind.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car