lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #11
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo 6x6

I think part of this project hinges on where your talents lie. Someone with good fab skills and equipment would probably take the challenge of using 1 drive motor and using a chain or shaft drive system to drive the axles. Others would take the challenge of using the electronics to drive 2 motors and run with it. Personally I see it easier to use 1 motor to mechanically drive 2 axles than it would be cost effective to use 2 drive motors and the resulting electronics. Get the electronics wrong and you will have very short battery life from the motors fighting each other.

Something I haven't seen mentioned (or I missed it) is how much "articulation" you plan on having in the rear axles. If you build something without much suspension travel and don't use some sort of limited slip in the differentials, you can get into situations pretty easily with 3 tire off the ground and spinning and 1 tire just sitting on the ground. Even using rear leafs for both axles, you can still get high centered fairly easy.

Even though there are some very sharp pencils in this community that are very capable with solving problems with the electronics normally used in carts, this challenge might need another box of crayons. The corrugated industry, for example, uses a lot of PCM's, electronic drives, and DC servo motors to drive multiple components at very high accuracy. How cost effective it would be to go this direction - I don't know - I haven't worked in that industry in about 15 years.

Good luck with your project. It appears to have several people's attention to see where it leads. Willie
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Two series drives fed by one BFC (Bif F---ing Controller) should work.

It is the motor's RPM that determines Amp draw, and all the controller does and all it can do is limit the number of amps the motor is allowed to draw based on the throttle input.

No two motors are exactly the same, so each will draw a differing number of amps for a given RPM, but if they are connected to the controller in parallel, the Communist Manifesto applies. ("From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." Karl Marx). In other words, if 600A is available from the controller, one motor might draw 310A while the other will draw only 290A and both motors and the controller will be happy.

The two motors should be connected in parallel at the F/R switch so they stay in directional sync. Personally, I'd use two reversing contactors, which would allow to select one drive or the other or both with a sp3t switch (or two spst switches)

I'd also go with 48V from the get-go and would seriously consider two 6x8V battery packs in parallel if more range is desired.

Minimum of 2Ga cables throughout.

-----------
There may be some controllers out there that communicate with each other, if so, a two controller set up would also work.

Contact Alltrax and other controller makers.

-------------------
To each there own, but I'd stay at 20" or less for the tires and not lift cart.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #13
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for you input evilspirit1. I know there are several routes I could take in this build and budget can very a lot depending on what route I take. Naturally I want to go the cheapest or less expensive route. Lol I already have the motors and back half from a donor cart I have. Also I’m not that much of a fabricator when it comes to marking the second reared chain driven or driveshaft operated. So I’m going to stick with the two motors route for now.
Not sure on how much articulation I will have it’s just going to be a standard lift in the back axles for now and as I save up more money and learn new things I may do a three link suspension with air bags but that’s way down the road. Lol
Ransom276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

JohnieB thanks for the input!! I was wanting to be able to turn one motor off if it was needed. I hadn’t thought about doing it with two reverse contacting switch’s. That would a better set up than I was originally thinking of for sure!!
If I went with two battery packs in parallel a standered 48 volt charger should charge them just the same correct?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom276 View Post
--------------
If I went with two battery packs in parallel a standered 48 volt charger should charge them just the same correct?
A standard 48V charger might be a bit small for a 340AH battery pack, which is what two 6x8V 170AH (T-875 or similar) pack would effectively be, but one 48V charger is about the only way to charge them.

Keeping 12 batteries equalized may be challenging also.

Plus, there is the weight of a dozen 8V batteries to take into consideration. A high capacity lithium pack may be the route to go. Saves 500 pounds or more.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #16
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Johny B I have thought about doing lithium batteries but again they are price and I want to get the cart up and running dependable before I put that much more money it it. Lol I have heard that one controller will not run two motors but did not get a explanation for it. I sent a pm asking why it wouldn’t do I waiting on a replay.

My thoughts is that the controller can’t tell if it’s one two or three motors if they are parallel. It can only see the demand and delivery the demand for amps needed. As long as they arnt to high in demand I would think it would run two or more motors. I may be missing other important parts but that why I’m on here....to get help from the best in the business!!
Old 11-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I doubt if you could run two sepex motors with one controller due to the more complex way the field windings and the armature interact with each other, but series motors are much simpler in design. Of course, the two series motors should be as close to identical as possible and practical. Probable the same part number will be close enough.

I cannot remember reading about anyone running two motors from one controller, so I am speculating, but based on what I know about amp flow in a parallel circuit and that it is the motor in and of itself that determines how many amps it draws, I believe two (or more) series wound motors in parallel can be powered from one controller. It is roughly the same as powering more than one motor from a single battery, which is done in automobiles every day.

A series controller is simply an electrical valve that limits the maximum amp flow and all it sees is the total amps drawn by the motor or motors. One motor may draw more amps than the other, but the controller won't know the difference.

Another misconception that floats around occasionally is that amps take the path of the least resistance. Amps actually flow through all paths and the flow rate is proportional to the the resistance of each path in a parallel circuit.

Mismatched motors probably won't play well together, one will do more work and get hotter.

They devil is always in the details, so I'm interested to hear about why two with one controller won't work. I might be wrong believing it can.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #18
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks johnieB. I choose series motors because they are the simplist motor and felt they would come closer to working together in parallel. My thought process is it shouldn’t be any different than replacing a stock motor with a 8-12 hp high torque motor. High torque will definitely draw a lot more amps then stock and they make controllers that handle that kind of amperage all day. If I hook two stock 2.5 hp in parallel then I’m only going up to 5 hp or and increaseing my torque with that and don’t think I will be any where close to the amps a high torque motor will draw. As far as the controller goes it dosnt know if it’s power 1,2, or 3 motors. I’m going to try it out with one big controller to start with and see how it does. Do you think it would be possible to put a dead man switch on one of the cables going to second motor where I can turn it on and off when I want to?if I went with two controllers and reverse contacting switch it would be a issue like you said but I would like to try 1 to start and if I don’t get good results I will look at doing two.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I suspect the number of amps two stock motors in parallel can draw might surprise you. Stalled, a single stock motor can draw everything a SR48600 controller can pass (690A peak), but the amps draw drops off fairly quickly as the armature starts spinning. Two of them in parallel might be able to max out the SR-600 for a few feet during a max effort take off from a standstill going uphill. I'm not sure if a single high-torque could do the same.

However, under normal operation conditions, neither setup is likely to draw more than the SR-600 can supply.

As far as turning off one motor, a battery disconnect switch (or solenoid) in any of the four cables to the motor will shut it down.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #20
Ransom276
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again johnyb. I am learning as I go. Do you think regearing the rear ends would help with the stall?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO