lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 CC DS Slow after major upgrades

so i am trying to figure out if this is normal or if i need to fix something. I have all new wiring, Alltrax SR48500 controller, MZJ400A solenoid, SW202 reversing contactor, 2g cable set, and a brand new custom motor built with these specs in mind from http://empinc.biz/. I am getting good speed out of it esp downhill but i am not getting any torque... i mean it just completely dies going up hills even with a moderate load. I tried to mess with the controller settings some but to be honest was afraid i would cause more harm than good. i will take some screenshots of my settings later this evening.
wuntunearlybko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: 96 CC DS Slow after major upgrades

Make sure all your connections are tight and all connections are ordered from largest current drawers to smallest. What's the state of your battery pack? Type of batteries and age? 48V or 36V?

Chuck has a great questionnaire for potential buyers that takes in account terrain type and intended use and he usually meets or exceeds his estimates for the motor he provides. What were his predictions for the motor he built for you?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Is it possible that you should have a motor map in the controller to better match the custom motor? He can tell you what is needed if that’s the issue.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

sorry forgot to mention that. The cart is 48v and they are Trojans that are only about 2 years old. I did start with a fully charged pack. i have gone through all of the connections and they are tight as far as i can tell.

yes Chuck and i went back and forth for a couple of months with questions and describing my needs. i have no doubt his motor is better than i could hope for... i dont for one second think his motor is the problem or not meeting my needs. i am quite certain its a connection somewhere or something i did/didnt do. I just need some help narrowing down the possibilities.

I opted for his option #4 which is described below for reference:

OPTION 4 - UPGRADED ALTERNATE MOTOR - GG1-4002-LR*
This option begins with an alternate stock motor. The armature has an alternate construction with fewer but larger conductors. The brushes are still the same cross section as in the option 3 design. The alternate armature conductor count makes this motor faster than option 1 or option 2 when on slight grades or when slightly loaded. This design would be tougher than the earlier options and would be a faster motor when on grades. This option is good for medium+ to heavy- duty applications.

i will also say this, i have a squeak in the rear axle somewhere that i think is the brakes. i loosened them way up, like all the way but still hear it. i can easily push the cart around so i dont think they are dragging to any noticeable degree but thought i would mention it just in case.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

so i am still stuggling to figure out whats wrong as my cart will only hit like 10mph max downhill... uphill it almost completely stops. i have gone back through all of the connections and everything is tight. the cart pushes by hand just fine so i know its not brakes dragging. Could the FN1 switch be causing problems?

a couple of months ago i reset the controller back to factory and maybe this has something to do with it. does anyone have screen shots of the Alltrax settings?

Thanks for any help.

BTW here is my gallery of pics i have taken that may or may not be useful.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBqw7aUCGuAakq8f6
Old 02-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like the motor is jumpered to the high torque mode so while the speed may be lower it should have a lot of torque.

There is very little thread showing on the Reversing contactor studs without any cables, specilly the ones on the bottom of the copper "L" bracket.

Make sure all of those nuts are tight, even if no cable lug is attached.

What is your controller Battery and Armature amps setting, max?

Does the monitor screen show the throttle signal going to 100%?

Are You using the default throttle curves?

Pictures of the Alltrax setting or an Alltrax log file from a test run would be helpful.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio... i will go double check now.

I have been working on getting screenshots of my settings and will post up ASAP.

yes the motor is wired for high torque but the cart will hardly make it up the driveway... i would expect it would power up even if it is slow.

i will be back with more info later this morning.

++Edit: Just checked and ALL of the connections on the reverse contactor are tight, that pic a little old and before i had everything finished.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

ok just went for a test ride and saved the log from Alltrax. i was not able to upload as a CSV file so i had to zip it up. let me know if this helps.

yes the throttle is going all the way to 100% when the pedal is depressed all the way.

Also, here are the screenshots of the controller settings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ControllerTab.jpg (113.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Monitor.jpg (101.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ThrottleLinearization.jpg (116.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Monitor.zip (6.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

i wanted to test the batteries since they came with the cart and be 110% sure they arent the problem. I went by the instructions found on this site:
https://itstillruns.com/check-golf-c...s-5504467.html
and all batteries tested at 9.8 - 9.9v individually while the charger was engaged. I then checked every cell in each battery with a hydrometer and recorded the results, all cells were between 1275 and 1300 for all batteries which is well within normal range.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Collect a monitor file while operating the cart up the incline where it is slowing down unacceptable and post it here so we can see the motor draw and the battery voltage under load.

Also what size tires and what air pressure ? thank you
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car