lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
lyndsaymaj
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Prioritizing upgrades: 2009 PDS 36v stock

My husband and I just purchased our first cart- a stock 2009 EZGO TXT PDS 36v. We are researching and trying to learn all we can to DIY our upgrades. Currently, the cart looks to be in good shape and runs runs great. The date on the batteries is 2017 and they hold a charge well. We will be replacing the battery cables today with 4 gauge cables and installing a street legal kit with lights etc.

My question is how should we prioritize our upgrade wishlist? Our planned use is mostly street driving with some mild off-road travel (trails only- nothing crazy). We have 2 kids that will be riding along so safety is a big factor. We’d like to go a decent speed for trips to the store and torque for hills.

Wish list:
Heavy duty leaf springs (3 leaf)
New shocks
12v battery to run lights and accessories
Rear seat
Lift kit (6” spindle lift)
New wheels with all terrain tires (what size?)
Freedom chip
Alltrax Sepex Controller
New motor (no idea what kind)

I feel like when we put on the rear seat we should do leaf springs, shocks, and the lift kit/tires/wheels at the same time but that is a lot of $$$ all at once. Would it be reasonable to just do the leaf springs first?

Anything else we should be thinking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lyndsaymaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
lyndsaymaj
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Prioritizing upgrades: 2009 PDS 36v stock

IMG_3421.jpg

Old 01-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's a clean looking 09. You will want to upgrade the speed controller before you put on bigger tires (these reduce power) or add a rear seat (rear seats and extra passengers increase load)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndsaymaj View Post
My husband and I just purchased our first cart- a stock 2009 EZGO TXT PDS 36v. We are researching and trying to learn all we can to DIY our upgrades. Currently, the cart looks to be in good shape and runs runs great. The date on the batteries is 2017 and they hold a charge well. We will be replacing the battery cables today with 4 gauge cables and installing a street legal kit with lights etc.

My question is how should we prioritize our upgrade wishlist? Our planned use is mostly street driving with some mild off-road travel (trails only- nothing crazy). We have 2 kids that will be riding along so safety is a big factor. We’d like to go a decent speed for trips to the store and torque for hills.

Wish list:
New shocks
Rear seat
Freedom chip
Alltrax Sepex Controller

I feel like when we put on the rear seat we should do leaf springs, shocks, and the lift kit/tires/wheels at the same time but that is a lot of $$$ all at once. Would it be reasonable to just do the leaf springs first?

Look into a 48v to 12v converter for the accessiries. You can get fues boxes to handle various numbers of accessiries.

I got a custom motor from plumb quick. It did cost a few more dollars, but I love the speed and torque increases I got. The old motor was also a simple take out, installing new was easy too. They recommend changing the rear end fluid with synthetic gear oil. I've been a synthetic fan for cars as well for years.

As far as priority order there is some sense to HD spring, shocks, lift kit before seat, big tires, etc.. so these have an order. But don't be afraid to take your time and do them as your buget/needs/skills allow. What's the hurry? And if there is a hurry doesn't that point you to the priorities.

Edit: 1 think about a seat belt for each passenger.
2 if you haven't bought you cables shop around. You can find various prices. And I do color scheme with the base wiring or wire loom. It makes me smile to save a few $$ and the look bring happiness as well as purpose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191116-082829_Gallery.jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:43 AM   #5
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I couldn't find these right away. I like it pretty under the seat/hood. The green wires are "go" and go to the motor to move the cart. The red wires are "power" and bring power into the controller and solenoid. The blue are "battery" and they connect the pack. The battery vent caps are red next to a battery's positive post, black is next to the battery's negative post. And white is the inbetween. There is also the 36v/12v converter for accessories with the small black looms.

Good luck with your project. Most importantly enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191126_211328_resized-1.jpg (116.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191219_185546_resized.jpg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:

Wish list:
New shocks
Rear seat
Freedom chip
Alltrax Sepex Controller

Hello Lynda, welcome to BGW. I would begin by installing the 12 volt battery first. Then you can install your accessories. Next I would do the leaf springs and work from there.

Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The converter should be 36v/12v, or what ever pack is to 12v.

This site always presents options, which makes it good so you can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolflt View Post
Here’s a suggestion... don’t switch your reducer

I’d even invest in a second reducer specifically for my radio

Quote:
Here’s a suggestion... don’t switch your reducer[/QUOTE

I’d even invest in a second reducer specifically for my radio memory before I lugged around an extra special needs 12V battery

Quote:
Special needs= Doesn’t charge with the pack... there’s just a better way is all I was saying
So you just never know.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
We’d like to go a decent speed for trips to the store and torque for hills.

Wish list:
New shocks
Rear seat
Freedom chip
Alltrax Sepex Controller

When you do the HD springs it will raise the back end of your cart. Not a problem, just so you know. I'd do the springs first as they are relatively cheap and can be done pretty easily.

The shocks don't seem to really do much on my cart. If you're cart is riding too stiff then they still won't help. If your cart is riding in a more "floppy" fashion the springs should help.

After the springs then you can add the rear seat. If the kids are small it won't be too much more load on the stock drivetrain. If they are grown then you'll notice the reduced acceleration and speed.

The reducer is good in that it doesn't add weight and you don't have to manually charge an additional battery. The con is that a reducer can only provide so much power, so if you have LED headlights/taillights and a stereo it'll be fine. If you have halogen bulbs/big stereo/lightbar/etc then you need to watch your amp draw.

If you upgrade your controller you won't need the freedom chip. Also, when you upgrade the controller you'll find the new controller is compatible with higher voltage. If you increase to 42V from 36V (after the controller upgrade) your cart will perform much better and the stock motor will run just fine.

Wheels and tires are always something that is contentious. The bigger the tire/wheel combo the better it looks but the harder it is on the drivetrain. You'll also get a higher theoretical top speed and sacrifice torque. Lots of people seem to settle on 20" or 21" tires. If I remember correctly, your cart will handle 20" tires without a lift. But if you put a big 6" lift on the cart it may look goofy with 20" tires. Make sure you get tires that can handle 16psi or more. If you get low pressure tires then they will increase drag and that will severely limit top speed.

If it were me I'd do the reducer and springs, skip the shocks. Then do the rear seat. After that the Alltrax with an eye towards 42V at some point in the future when the existing batteries die and not do the motor. Then lift/rims/tires. Finally when the current batteries die I'd go 42V and get a new 42V charger to go with. Just my $0.02

Last edited by bronsonj; 01-06-2020 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Corrected spelling issues
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #9
lyndsaymaj
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for all the great info!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO