lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Starfox
Not Yet Wild

Default Can I save my batteries?

2003 Club Car DS, 48 volt

Been reading the battery threads and found on the EZGO forum that if batteries are left uncharged for more than a year they are toast. Is that true? Mine have been down for near two years.

I'm new to carts and thought that leaving the charger plugged in I would keep the batteries charged up - I didn't know that the standard charger won't do that.
So I've been trying to get them charged up over the last few weeks, charging two batteries at a time with the 12v charger and I can get a pair to 10 or 12v but it isn't enough to get my cart charger turned on.

Bought the cart from someone who buys and turns them so I would expect the wiring to be ok. I believe the batteries were new when I got them.

Is there anything else I can try or do I need new batteries?

Thanks,
Fox
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Can I save my batteries?

///
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
2003 Club Car DS, 48 volt

Been reading the battery threads and found on the EZGO forum that if batteries are left uncharged for more than a year they are toast. Is that true? Mine have been down for near two years.

I'm new to carts and thought that leaving the charger plugged in I would keep the batteries charged up - I didn't know that the standard charger won't do that.
So I've been trying to get them charged up over the last few weeks, charging two batteries at a time with the 12v charger and I can get a pair to 10 or 12v but it isn't enough to get my cart charger turned on.

Bought the cart from someone who buys and turns them so I would expect the wiring to be ok. I believe the batteries were new when I got them.

Is there anything else I can try or do I need new batteries?

Thanks,
Fox
Are you saying you bought the cart 2 years ago and have never used or charged the cart?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
-snip-
if batteries are left uncharged for more than a year they are toast. Is that true? Mine have been down for near two years.
You will be hard pressed to get them back, but I would surely try if there was no load on them. The self discharge rate would make them extremely hard to bring back at this point.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You will never get 2 eight volt batteries charged with a 12 volt charger. Fill the batteries about 3/8" above the plates with distilled water. Hook a 12 volt charger to each one and tend them while you do this. This may bring them up enough to start the charger, but as Nole said they are likely shot.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 AM   #6
Starfox
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input.

The cart was bought to put hand controls on it so it was only driven a few times b4 being parked. I just got busy on other projects. Sure, it was charged a few times b4 parking.

I thought if I could get the battery pairs charged to 12 volts I'd have 36 and might be able to get the cart charger working.

Expensive mistake!
Starfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car