lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Mtscho77
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 01 club car ds shuts down at high speed

Hey all. Long time reader, first time poster. I have an 01 club car ds 48v. I’ve put an sw180 solenoid, navitas 440 amp controller, new speed sensor and magnet and my cart has potential to rip but when going for sustained distance it shuts dwn. I can get it going 30mph but after an 1/8th mile or so it feels like the regen kicks in and slows down. I let me foot off gas and couple seconds later it rips again. The MCOR (And motor, still has stock ge motor) is about only thing I haven’t replaced. Batts are brand new and all hold 50ish volts under load. I have a 6” lift and wheels for it but don’t want to do that until I work out the shutting dwn issue. Is it just to much for the factory motor? I have my eyes on a high torque motor from plumm quick but this build has taken on a life of its own and wife’s about tired of seeing my charges in the ol bank account! Lol. Any help is much appreciated.
Mtscho77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 01 club car ds shuts down at high speed

Unless your controller is dropping you back for some reason, it sounds like a speed sensor issue. You should be able to watch it on your controller software and see it.

You will not see 30 mph with a high torque motor. It is not designed for that.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
Mtscho77
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Much appreciated. I’ll try another speed sensor see if that helps. I just replaced it and the magnet was still getting that shut dwn but been in the Automotive industry long enough to know you get some defective parts sometimes. I’ve spent a couple hrs on the phone with Navitas trying to figure it out. They told me it was the solenoid so I replaced the brand new solenoid with a newer solenoid still same issue. I can dial it back and it’ll run 20-25 all day but when I turn the speed control all the way up to see what it can do it does it’s shut dwn on me.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtscho77 View Post
....The MCOR (And motor, still has stock ge motor) is about only thing I haven’t replaced. ... .
Just checking, you did upgrade all the battery/motor cables, too?
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
Mtscho77
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did yes. All new batts and cables was first thing I did when I got her. It was sluggish going up here and a few threads on here lead my to finding a couple crap batts so replaced them and new cables.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds to me that the controller is shutting you down. Could be a setting not correct on the Navitas? My personal opinion is the GE motor gets hot and can not handle the high speed and causes a shut down. The GE motor is a good motor but really not designed to go 30 MPH for a sustained time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
Mtscho77
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I’ve been thinking the same about the ge motor. I can dial in the controller and find the “sweet spot” and get it rolling around 23-24 and it’s fine all day. I think this shows I need to go ahead and do the motor upgrade.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:48 PM   #8
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbob View Post
Sounds to me that the controller is shutting you down. Could be a setting not correct on the Navitas? My personal opinion is the GE motor gets hot and can not handle the high speed and causes a shut down. The GE motor is a good motor but really not designed to go 30 MPH for a sustained time.

[emoji106]

Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car