lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
XStroX
Not Yet Wild

Default Squeaky Wheel after Brake Change

In need of help again. I managed to get my new brakes installed (2005 EZGO TXT PDS) with the help of you all. Thank you. However, after a day of driving it, I noticed the stopping distance was only slightly improved and my left rear wheel was making a scraping sound once per revolution only when the brakes were pushed down.

Tonight I took that wheel off and noticed the brakes weren't engaging immediately when pressing the brake pedal. I adjusted the star screw adjuster so that they were and put everything back together. Now the golf cart stops on a dime however I have a squeaky right rear wheel whether the brakes are pressed or not. It is a very distinct sound: creak, clunk, creak, clunk, once per revolution. I've provided 3 video links of it squeaking while driving and while on a jack and me turning the wheel manually. What could be causing this and is it safe to drive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL6o0gYgJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3MJLpDV9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XrLDXggqfQ

Update: Doing some additional searching online referred to tightening the hub nut. I just tightened it as much as I possibly could. So much so I thought my 3/8 ratchet with breaker bar was going to break. It tightened quite a bit so I figured this would fix my issue but still sounds the exact same.
XStroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Squeaky Wheel after Brake Change

Did you make all the brake system adjustments per manual?
Pedal free play, equalizer bar in correct order.
Tightening down the star wheel will cause brake shoes to be in loser contact with drum thus giving temporary stoping power

Brakes must be adjusted per manual in the order described anytime brake shoes,drums,adjusters are replaced.
Manual also gives starting point on how to adjust new brakes.
Example you could have a semi frozen brake cable causing shoes to rub.
Brake drums turned and true round?
Did you torque rear drum/ axle. Nut to spec?

Loose drum
Out of round drum
Or to tight,misadjusted brake system due worn parts not allowing brakes to self adjust as designed
HTH😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
XStroX
Not Yet Wild

Long story short, no. Although I have printed out the relevant section of the manual now and plan to go through all the steps this weekend. I think I'm going to buy a new set of OEM brakes as well. I think these cheap brakes I got on ebay are a big part of the problem.
XStroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
JR_ECE
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Interested in what you find out. My 2012 EZGO TXT developed a similar noise on the back left. I pulled the drum and the adjuster was really stiff from time and grime. After cleaning it improved, but still have some sound from the back left. I'm thinking I might replace the pads and run to procedure as mentioned here to see if that takes care of it. Not sure of best place for brakes, and will need to find manual.

Please share results!
JR_ECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO