lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
Rhelloms
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring a reducer to an EZGO key switch

Hi all thanks in advance for any help. I have a 2001 EZGO TXT. I am trying to wire a reducer up to my cart. I wanted to wire it to the switch so that when I turn the key on the reducer will come on. Here’s my issue my key switch is also activated by the F&R switch. The power to the switch is only hot when the F&R is in forward or reverse. If it’s in neutral then there is no power to the switch. Has anyone else had this problem if so what is a good fix to not have a toggle switch for the reducer. Thanks again for any help.
Rhelloms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring a reducer to an EZGO key switch

IMHO don't hook it to the key switch. Hook to the pack mains and use a toggle switch to turn the reducer off for extended periods.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #3
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Could rewire the key switch to fire a relay in the start circuit instead of interrupting the circuit itself.

Edit: to clarify a little. IIRC the TXT key switch circuit looks like this:
B+ -> F/R -blue> Key switch -green> accelerator -red> solenoid coil +

You would pull the key switch out of the circuit, and replace it with the switched legs of a 36 or 48V relay. Tap the B+ going to the F/R and use it to supply the key switch, key switch output controlling two relay coil +s (one Relay for the start circuit, one for your reducer circuit). The two relay coil -s to B-.

Be good to have the reducer on it’s own relay anyway.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Does your 2001 TXT have a series or a sepex (PDS) drive?

If it is a series drive you can do some rewiring and put the keyswitch before MS-2 on the F/R. (See attached series drive schematic with KSI highlighted)

If it is a PDS, use a toggle switch.

Hopefully, your reducer has a remote On/Off wire. Otherwise, it'll be a good idea to use a relay to feed battery pack voltage to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
Rhelloms
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all for the replies. I think you all pretty well summed it up. I have to either rewire the switch or put a toggle on it. I know a toggle would be my easiest option so I am leaning towards that option. However, I am curious as to the wiring of the relay to the start circuit so they I can put the reducer on a relay. I’ll run to the local shop tomorrow and see what I can find in the way of a key switch with start mode and relays. My cart is a series so maybe I can figure the key switch out with the great info you all have provided. Thanks again to you all.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Rhelloms
Not Yet Wild

Update to all - thanks again for all the help. I opted to go with the new key switch idea as I really wanted the key to run everything. Key switch is in and all is good. Now on to the rest of the project, lol. You’d think I have a muscle car project as much as I am tweaking something on my two carts all the time.

Tags
ezgo wiring reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO