lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
Vinnyp402
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 Club Car Precedent 48V. Install USB with Voltmeter

I have an 07 Club Car Precedent 48V. Bought it not too long ago and completely re painted the cart and reupholstered the front and rear seats. I’ll be swapping the front headlights for LED shortly but have purchased a dual USB port with Voltmeter. I need to wire it to something that is only hot when the key is turned on. Anything I’ve tried to tap it to is ok at all times and don’t want the battery to die while cart is off and Voltmeter is reading at all times. Can anyone help ?? Where/ what can I wire/ tap into so that it will only power when key is on ? Or should I just buy a new USB that has no display so that I don’t need to wire to something that’s only hot when switch is on.

Thanks in advance.

Vinny
Vinnyp402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
MissouriClubCarGuy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2007 Club Car Precedent 48V. Install USB with Voltmeter

Do you have 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries? I might want to buy a voltage converter.
MissouriClubCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
Vinnyp402
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriClubCarGuy View Post
Do you have 4 12 volt batteries or 6 8 volt batteries? I might want to buy a voltage converter.
I have 4 12V batteries. But am looking to tap into something behind the panel where my headlight switch and ignition key is.
Vinnyp402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:06 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The voltmeter would not pull enough power to bother the battery pack even if it is on constantly. However, the USB ports will have an input of 12V (not 48V). It sounds like you have something that looks like this picture. If so, it takes a 12V input to output the 5V USB ports and it will show 12V on the voltmeter.

If you want the voltmeter to show the 48V of the pack you will need a separate voltmeter that is designed to show 48V.

If you get a 48V meter (and this is a good one https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html from one of the forum sponsors) then its positive can be connected to the "cold" side of the on/off switch (i.e. the side that has power only when the key is on) and the negative to any convenient -48V point on the loom. That way it will show the pack voltage but only come on when the key is on.

As for the USB ports, your best bet is to get a voltage reducer (such as this https://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html or this https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/voltage-reducers). The 5-wire ones are best.

It is possible to run the USB ports from one of the 12V batteries but this is not preferred because then you are causing the pack to become unbalanced. This is not a huge problem if you are just charging your phone occasionally but hooking up other 12V accessories to just one battery is a no-no.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb and voltmeter.jpg (37.0 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Read what Bruce says carefully, since it's good information. Note that he says "5 wire reducers are best", because this can be hooked up to your ignition switch so it's only on when the ignition is on.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car