lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Wanting to Upgrade my old 87 Club Car DS completely.

Hey guys, I have an old 87 club car DS. Im curious, I like the cart and the body, but I was thinking I would like 48 Volt. I want to get about 20 mph at minimum.

In all honesty how difficult is it to do a completely type swap from my old 36 to a 48, and what type of cost would it on average take? IM trying to figure out if I just roll with it, or look into buying a newer car int he future.
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Wanting to Upgrade my old 87 Club Car DS completely.

If you're concerned only with the speed increase and going 48V (no aesthtics for now), you could do it for under $3000 including buying batteries and a good charger.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Both major site sponsors ScottyB and Revolution sell kits to do what you want. According to ScottyB's site, it's not a walk in the park, but if you're not all thumbs, you can do it. You'll need batteries, charger and the kit. I suspect you can do upgrades at the same time, 20mph isn't that tough of a goal. Give Dave or Scotty a call and let them know your goals and they'll tell you how much to get there. Depending on the ultimate goals for the cart (how long you're going to keep it, mainly), it may be worthwhile to sell the cart and buy a 48v sepex cart instead. For example, a stock AQ DS will do 20 with just a speed magnet or controller upgrade. Controller and motor can get you to 30 and beyond.

The only limit is your Amex bill and the wife's reaction to it.

EDIT: I looked at your post from earlier this year with your pictures of the cart. Your cart looks good and has some nice features to it: extended roof, rear seat that I think is OEM, your new seat covers, and your lift kit. If the cart is running well, you can probably sell it for some decent money in today's South Florida market. Use that cash to find a newer sepex cart, and if you're patient, you can find one for a good price (I paid 8 bills for mine in Broward). Otherwise, you have to sell your Powertrons at a loss, then buy new 48v batteries with no cores. If your current batteries were junk, then the decision would be much easier. Depending on your ultimate goals for the cart, I'd seriously consider selling it as is.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lots of people do this for the same reasons. On average you can convert to solid state 48v drive with new batteries and charger for $2000-$2200. A new motor or a motor rewind for more speed will cost a $250-400 dollars more. But that should get you a very reliable 20 mph cart.

It is especially appealing to modernize an older cart rather than buy anything newer if you have looked at the price of newer carts lately.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #5
LEMANSZ20
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Lots of people do this for the same reasons. On average you can convert to solid state 48v drive with new batteries and charger for $2000-$2200. A new motor or a motor rewind for more speed will cost a $250-400 dollars more. But that should get you a very reliable 20 mph cart.

It is especially appealing to modernize an older cart rather than buy anything newer if you have looked at the price of newer carts lately.
Well i was expecting to have to do a new motor, but im confused. Are you guys saying if I get a new charger and 48v batteries I can just throw them in and the cart will be faster with the factor motor?
LEMANSZ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes, the stock series 36v motor will make about 30% more torque and speed on 48 volts. However a 10 hp purpose built torque/speed motor from admiral can be had for a little less than $400. And refurbish service is available for less.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also your resistor coils won’t last very long on 48v. They will last a while and it will be fast as hell compared to before. But I’d expect them to fail, sooner or later depending on their condition.

Personally I’d sell it and buy a 48v. You’ll get around 20mph with a speed magnet ($30) and have a much more efficient drive system than you do now.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Running 48v on a Series cart VGlide system is not good, if that is the plan You should also install a VGlide high speed bypass solenoid to prevent the VGLide wiper arm from melting.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Sergio, what about 40 volts? 5x8s.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be difficult to charge as there are no 40v chargers out there.

Scottyb recommendation was for a "Solid State 48v conversion" while keeping only the original motor, not just throwing 48v on the original system.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car