lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
ClintonB
Not Yet Wild

Default Golf Cart only runs at highest speed

I have an '87 club car electric golf cart. Recently it is only running on the highest speed and the other 3-4 speeds do not work; the torque from 0 - Go is a neck-tester. I know there isn't much to the electric golf carts, but I'm a novice here with troubleshooting. My first guess is that it is the speed control box. Any suggestions on how I can diagnose why our golf cart only has one speed? I appreciate any input.
ClintonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
Scott quail
Gone Wild

Default Re: Golf Cart only runs at highest speed

Depending on if your cart has a resistor coil set up or if it has a speed switch assembly. Does your cart have 5 solenoids on the back side of the batteries? Or do you have a silver box with a red cap on the driver side of your cart in the front side of the batteries? If you have 5 solenoids, you can test the solenoids for continuity across the big posts. If you have continuity without pressing the pedal across the big posts than that solenoid is bad. If you have the speed switch assembly which is the box on the driver side in the front of the batteries almost below the charge receptacle than thats likely your issue. Just depends on which set up you have.
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
ClintonB
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Scott. It appears I have the 5 solenoids behind the batteries (in front of the motor) and I also have a silver box with red cap located just under the batteries on the driver side; in between the outside row of batteries (2) and the center batteries. Looks as if it's attached to the frame or battery tray but not certain.
ClintonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Scott quail
Gone Wild

sounds to me like your lower speed solenoids are welded or the speed control switch box has gone bad on the lower speeds. Check continuity on the solenoids first. Check continuity across the big posts of the solenoid without pressing the go pedal. If there is continuity across the big posts and the pedal isnt pressed than the solenoid is welded. Ive seen this many times. You should also be able to hear 5 clicks as you press the pedal. The clicks are each solenoid activating. Id start by checking the solenoids, if its not the solenoids than it will be the speed switch box. (the box with the red cap)
Scott quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car