lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
december45
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger problems

The cart, 1995 club car I believe its a DS It is a 48 volt with new batteries.
The charger, power drive, its the one i got with the cart.
I have followed the troubleshooting stickie for chargers, word for word or at least as best as i can.All fuses and wiring are good to go, no loose wires, no problems that I can see.
I went through the check list, and got to the part about testing the Relay, It does not click nor does the charger start charging. I tested voltage between the red wire and blue wire at the relay and get the same battery pack voltage 48.9 volts. The trouble shooting check list says the relay is bad, I bought and installed new relay and same thing, no click no charge. What can i be doing wrong? Its a new relay, hard to believe its bad out of the box, so I believe i have something else wrong.
Question, if the charger is bad(windings or what ever) and if the relay is good it should still click, just not charge... correct? OR if the relay is good, and the charger is no good, will the bad charger prevent the relay from being powered up and clicking? Thanks for any assistance.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Charger problems

9 times out of 10 (maybe 10 out of 10) the problem isn't the charger but the OBC.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
december45
Not Yet Wild

I agree, however, according to the troubleshooting guide in the stickie, if you get full pack voltage from reading the voltage from the blue and red wire(from the relay), that means the OBC is communicating with the charger... Maybe, well probably, i read that wrong, please tell me if i am correct?
Old 10-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The OBC grounds one lead on the relay to activate it. You can activate it by grounding that wire or just bypass the relay and the charger will put out voltage. But if the OBC isn't working properly, that voltage won't get to the batteries. I have fixed several of these carts for guys I golf with and every time the charger was fine and the OBC was at fault.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you have pack voltage with probes on the red and blue wires, the relay should have clicked On.
Normally this would mean the OBC has given the command to activate the relay. The OBC provides the negative for the relay coil via the Grey wire in the cart receptacle. The relay should click on approx 5-15 seconds after the cord is plugged into the cart.

Do you have 110v on the Black wire going to the relay from the circuit breaker? The relay may be clicking on but is not getting AC voltage to send to the transformer.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
december45
Not Yet Wild

i need an explaination on which wire to ground or how to by pass the relay to see if the charger will charge at all.
i think im gonna need it spelled out pretty plain for me to get it done.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
december45
Not Yet Wild

I know next to nothing about this system, just what i read in the trouble shooting guide in the stickie, i pulled the red and blue wire and used my digital readout between the wires, getting the pack voltage.
When i reattach the red and blue wire to the relay, i get no click and no charging.
I will check the black wire going to the relay to insure i have 115 going to the relay from the power cord.
note; does the black wire power the relay and in turn powers the charger when given the signal from the OBC through the relay?
Old 10-09-2021, 03:50 AM   #8
movin-on
Gone Wild
Club Car

This is for a powerdrive 2...If you have a powerdrive 1 the relay is in a different spot but it is the same procedure...Make sure power is off before you do this...

movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
december45
Not Yet Wild

I followed the illustration in the above picture, and..... the charger charged, so i know the charger is, its self ok.
I checked the heat sink and it seems to check out ok
I get pack voltage when checking voltage with the red and blue wire
I get pack voltage at the recepticle between the charger and cart (grey three prong plug)
I do NOT get a click on the relay and the charger will not begin to charge when all wires are connected the way they should be connect.
I sent back the new relay that i just bought and have ordered another new one, it is hard for me to believe that the relay is bad right out of the box, but who knows, stanger things have happened.
I will report back when i get the new relay and if the newest relay does not click and then start the charger working, ill be looking for more answers
thanks for all of your help
Old 10-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The OBC controls that relay. My money is on the OBC not energizing that relay. Check the fuse in the wire going to the third wire in the charge plug. (Yellow)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car