lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Charger problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by december45 View Post
I know next to nothing about this system, just what i read in the trouble shooting guide in the stickie, i pulled the red and blue wire and used my digital readout between the wires, getting the pack voltage.
When i reattach the red and blue wire to the relay, i get no click and no charging.
I will check the black wire going to the relay to insure i have 115 going to the relay from the power cord.
note; does the black wire power the relay and in turn powers the charger when given the signal from the OBC through the relay?
Then the simple test is to run a jumper wire from the Grey wire in the receptacle to the pack negative. With the charger plugged in This should activate the relay and the charger should start charging.

The charger relay gets 48v from the pack via the red wire, then the blue wire is negative back to the OBC. If you have 48v one the red and blue wires at the relay the OBC is providing negative and the relay should turn on. If the pack voltage is lower than 30v it will not be enough to activate the relay and it will not turn on. In this case the relay would need to be bypassed to bring the pack voltage up to around 40v before the OBC will be able to make the charger run.

The black wires on the relay are 110v supply to the transformer. That comes in from the wall plug, to the circuit breaker right next to the relay. Check for 110 coming into the relay on the black wire from the breaker. If you have that, you can unplug the charger AC cord, disconnect the two black wires from the relay and jumper them together with a short jumper wire of similar size. Tape the ends off, plug in the DC cord to the cart, and plug the AC cord in, and the charger will start charging.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
december45
Not Yet Wild

OK well i installed a new relay and we got the same old story, no click no charge.
Now i need advice on what to do.
#1 buy a new OBC ?
here is the numbers for the OBC on the cart. Lester Electrical Part # 21750-01
and at the bottom of the tag on the OBC is the number;
LEOO30543209 ver 1.359
This OBC does not have the "6 pin connector" or really any plastic type connectors, just ring connectors and a spade connector.
The only OBC i can find is on Amazon and its in the $370.00 range. There are plenty of other models of the OBC but with the 6pin connector etc. for about 1/2 the that price. ( is there way of adapting the computers with the 6 pins to my older unit?If any there is a reasonable OBC that fits the cart I would appreciate any advice on which ones would work.
#2 buying a aftermarket charger and using the by pass option (by passing the OBC ) then I would have a new charger. and the money seems to be in the same ball park. Which charger would be a good option for my cart? any suggestions would be appreciated.
I have removed the OBC from the cart, expecting to buy a new one, and so I could read the numbers and get an idea of what connections would have to be made.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #13
december45
Not Yet Wild

To recap;
on the gray wire going to the receptical, I have checked it, its secure, the fuse is good. My pack voltage is 49+ volts so i am well above the 30 volts minumum required. I have gone over the connections at the batteries, new batteries, all cables cleaned wire brushed and good connection. The voltage at the receptical is 49+ volts, when testing the red and blue wire, i get 49+ volts. I know the charger is working, when i jump the two larger wires at the relay the charger starts charging. I have ohm the heat sink and it seems to check out correctly.
My best guess is the OBC as stated by Volt Ampere,

"Then the simple test is to run a jumper wire from the Grey wire in the receptacle to the pack negative. With the charger plugged in This should activate the relay and the charger should start charging. " Can you tell me what this tells me, if i run a jumper from the gray wire to the pack neg, and it starts to charge. Does this tell me the OBC is bad? I will reinstall the OBC and do that jumper wire and see if it starts to charge.
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car