lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Default Lester summit charger

I just got done installing alltrax controller and new 8 volt trojan batteries on my 1992 club car. I plugged it in for the first time last night and when I went out to check it the charger turned off so I figured batteries were charged. Today when I woke up I checked the voltage with my multimeter and only read 48.8 volts. The carts volt meter also reading 48.8 volts. So I plugged the summit charger back in and when i test with multimeter it's only putting out 53.5 volts. Tried using the charger connect app but it doesn't seem to work right. The auto voltage detector said my cart was 36 volts. So I tried using the battery profile selector and charger is only putting out 53.5 volts when charging. Tried multiple different things on charger app but nothing seems to work. Shouldn't the charger be putting out like 62+ volts to pack or something around that???

Cart used to be 36 volts with curtis controller and old accupower lester charger. Never had an issue and got 5 years out of old batteries. Everything is wired correctly and the carts run great so any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
BballBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lester summit charger

What voltage do you have at the charge receptacle? Make sure your + and - charge wires are correctly connected to the pack main positive and negative posts. If not it will assume the pack is a lower voltage.
Also what model number is the charger?
Not all Summit chargers will work on a 48v pack, there are several that are specific to 36v or 24v packs and can not be changed.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Well I guess the charger is working like it should. Had it plugged in while I was out yesterday and I think charger ran for about 6 to 7 hours. Golf cart was fully charged and charger was off when I got home. Don't know what happened the first night but I think the ac plug came loose out of the wall socket. My outlet sits sideways so the plug doesn't sit in there very well. Probably should replace outlet since it's old and the prongs on the inside are probably getting loose. Probably will install a gfc outlet.

Everything's wired correctly and multimeter in the charger receptacle shows 51 volts. Yesterday before I left the house charger was putting out 66+ volts so I just let it do its thing.. Charger is lester 650watt model number 30600. Thank for the help
Old 12-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Loose outlets can cause bad things to happen when you are pulling significant current like with a charger. Replace that outlet before you either cause a fire or damage the plug.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Bad outlets cause bad juju for sure.
A GFCI may trip due to high amp load, so I would only use one if the outlet is exposed enough that it may get wet. I prefer a standard outlet and an expandable waterproof cover.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

GFCI is fine - all garage outlets are required to have them now anyway. A "PROPERLY DESIGNED" device will run up to full rated current without tripping a GFCI. I have one protecting my garage outlets and I charge carts (and my Tesla) all the time plugged into these outlets.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
BballBeast
Not Yet Wild

Well unfortunately my in laws are down staying at my house so they have their car parked in my driveway and my Christmas lights are hooked up the normal outlet I charge the cart. Right now cart is parked in the back and thats the outlet that is suspect. I have literally never used this outlet since I moved into my house 2 years ago. It's not that loose but definitely not tight like a new outlet.the outlet in the front under my carport is gfci outlet and always worked perfect for charging my cart.

Also update on the charging. Everything seems to be working perfect with the lester summit. I guess I just wasn't patient enough with it. If it didn't get hot and have the status light I would even know it's chargin it's so quite compared to my old accupower.

Anyway merry Christmas to everyone and I really appreciate all the help from these forums.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car