lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2022, 04:06 PM   #1
jeremy7226
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS

Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but it was a club car originally.

I came across a club car DS someone had cut in half, no idea why they cut it, but I thought I could use the parts to build a kart for the kids to play with. Turned out it had the dreaded T shaped controller and wouldn't run in forward, it still works in reverse. So I switched the field wires and it only runs in forward now, but slowly, which I'm fine with. The problem is after running for 10 or 15 minutes the motor heats up so hot you almost cant touch it. Does anyone know if a new controller will fix that? Or is it a problem with the motor? Thanks.

kart1.jpg

kart3.jpg

motor.jpg
jeremy7226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS

Sounds like a navitas 5kw kit is in order.

But really, sounds like a motor problem if it’s getting that incredibly hot. Have you pulled the motor apart and inspected the internals?

Looks like a fun toy!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

just the look of those cable connections on the motor tell me that you have a voltage drop problem. first thing i would do is clean everything and check voltage drops to make sure that you arent creating excess heat.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
just the look of those cable connections on the motor tell me that you have a voltage drop problem. first thing i would do is clean everything and check voltage drops to make sure that you arent creating excess heat.
If the terminals on the outside are that rusty I can’t imagine what the inside looks like.

I think that motor is gonna take a bit more than a wire wheel to the terminals
Old 05-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
jeremy7226
Not Yet Wild

The picture of the motor by itself was from before it was installed, I did clean the terminals before wiring.
I haven't taken the motor apart yet, I guess I'm having a hard time imagining what could go wrong inside the motor that would cause that kind of heat? Too much heat for it to be bearings, and if its windings you'd think the motor would either quit or let the magic smoke out. That's why I thought maybe the controller was doing something funky with the coils that would cause it to heat up? I was going to buy a new controller but I hate to throw that much money at a guess.
What's the best way to check voltage drop? block the tires up and check voltage at the motor terminals when running? How do these things control speed? Pulsing the current? So I'm looking for 48V at the motor?
jeremy7226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Corrosion and worn parts creates heat. So any corrosion inside the motor between the brushes and commutator can do that. Worn or damaged brushes or worn/damaged commutator bars can create excessive heat if something is wrong there too.

I’m not saying there’s no chance it’s in the controller, but before spending the bucks for a new controller it doesn’t cost anything to pull the motor apart and if nothing else, give it a good blowing out inside.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Clean those motor terminals with a wire brush! Dirty terminals can cause lots of heat and loss of performance.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car