lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
Geemonty
Not Yet Wild

Default differential cover has hole where motor mounts to it.

Where the motor attaches to the rear differential there is a large hole.

Anyone have any experience fixing something like this. Should I just seal it to protect it from dust/water etc?

When a new heavier motor was attached there was worry that it would not support the weight so a mounting bracket was made.

Not sure if this should be insulated in someway. I have less than a weeks worth of experience working on golf carts so any advice would be amazing.
Geemonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: differential cover has hole where motor mounts to it.

I’d be more concerned with water, moisture, etc getting inside there. Water and electricity generally don’t mix.

I wouldn’t run it like that personally. Get a replacement rear end or at least that half of the housing so it not only seals correctly, but the structural integrity mounting a 60lb motor is there like it should be. It’s more than just supporting the weight end to end, but also the twisting motion as you floor the pedal. Right now you could just replace that housing and probably be perfectly fine. But the input shaft also supports the armature to keep it centered so if what’s left of that housing let’s loose, it will probably also take out your motor
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:20 AM   #3
Geemonty
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I will look for a replacement housing.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:48 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you can find a rear end from a 2007 and up it would be beneficial if you ever decide to upgrade to an AC conversion kit. It has a little shorter driver axle and longer passenger axle to provide a little additional clearance for a bigger motor without modifying the shocks or shock mount
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Man, that's a tough one.

To be sure, CP241's suggestion is your best course of action. That being said, I am very crafty with my mig welder and am pretty sure that I would be able to seal that up using it and some spare metal. It sure wouldn't look pretty, though. Assuming you don't have a welder, if you can't find a donor rear end you may want to check a local weld shop and see if they can't do something for it. Again, this would be option #2 should option #1 not be easily attainable.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #6
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Duct tape.

It's obviously been there since you got the cart or you would say something
The hole doesn't seem to affect the motor and it looks like all the bolts are there
Hit the spline shaft with anti seize and cover it up
Start looking at discount parts from Craigslist, eBay and this forum
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
Geemonty
Not Yet Wild

All good suggestions. My brother actually has a somewhat capable fab shop. He cut the bracket in the picture on his plasma cutter. I already talked to him about making a second one for the broken end just to add more strength. I'll see what he can do.

I have no clue if it was there before tbh. This golf cart has been out of commission for awhile and unfortunately all the repair shops nearby have not been worth a darn. For all I know 1 of them broke it. My dad didn't remember.

If I am going to potentially buy a new housing I might as well try and have my brother fix this one. If he screws it up it wouldnt be a loss this way. Thanks for the advice from everyone, I know have some options.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car