lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
chiefk
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New batteries over charging

Installed new Sams Club batteries yesterday. Replaced all cables with 2 ga. and used the brass bolt method through the OBC. Put the charger on yesterday about 6PM and left it on. This morning the charger was still running at 5 amps and I could hear the batteries boiling. With the old Trojans the OBC would always shut off when charge was complete so OBC must be good. Voltage check after shutting off the charger is 8.7 on all batteries and 51.9 all together. Does the OBC need reprogramming or what?
2004 DS IQ, 48V
Powerdrive 2 charger
chiefk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: New batteries over charging

New batteries are not "fully charged" right out of the gate. They can take 20-50 charge cycles to reach full capacity, which usually means longer than usual charge times as they break in.
They can sometimes take 4-6 hours to charge, or might take 12-16 hours depending on several factors.
Yes, they will bubble, and they will emit some sulfur gas smell for the first 2 dozen charges or so. After that they will tend to calm down as the capacity builds in the battery. Just make sure you keep an eye on water levels.
Also check charging voltage on the pack while the charger is still running, especially when it has dropped down to around 5 amps, you should see pack voltages around 59 up to as high as 65v depending on the pack. For a new pack I usually expect to see voltage around 63-65v towards the end of the cycle.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
chiefk
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
New batteries are not "fully charged" right out of the gate. They can take 20-50 charge cycles to reach full capacity, which usually means longer than usual charge times as they break in.
They can sometimes take 4-6 hours to charge, or might take 12-16 hours depending on several factors.
Yes, they will bubble, and they will emit some sulfur gas smell for the first 2 dozen charges or so. After that they will tend to calm down as the capacity builds in the battery. Just make sure you keep an eye on water levels.
Also check charging voltage on the pack while the charger is still running, especially when it has dropped down to around 5 amps, you should see pack voltages around 59 up to as high as 65v depending on the pack. For a new pack I usually expect to see voltage around 63-65v towards the end of the cycle.
Right now it is charging at 4.5 amps, 58 volts. And bubblung aeway.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

What charger do you have? If you the the club car charger [Eric] you need to change it to the battery type you have now....goto Eric charger and look up the right settings for them!

Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's a Powerdrive 2 charger. No battery settings possible.

Like Fairtax says, it it probably normal. It should settle down in a few charges.

In case you don't have one, here is the manual:

https://xrtdealers.clubcar.com/owner...0801f0107d.pdf
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #6
chiefk
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
It's a Powerdrive 2 charger. No battery settings possible.

Like Fairtax says, it it probably normal. It should settle down in a few charges.

In case you don't have one, here is the manual:

https://xrtdealers.clubcar.com/owner...0801f0107d.pdf
Thanks alot.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefk View Post
Thanks alot.
You're welcome!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car