lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
wrenflyer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: lifted gas club car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
if your cart uses the stock steerins arms, loosen the jam nuts on the arm that connects the 2 wheels, the one in the very back. jack up your cart so you can spin the wheels. use a light color of paint and pant a stripe as close to the center as paosssible. then with it still wet, as close to the center of the wheel in the stripe area, use a knife or a flat tip screwdriver to scribe a line in the paint while spinning the tire. it ake a little vinace to get it, but it will sgribe the line in it. the measure at the center of the tire(half way up) on both the front and back. you want the front to be 1/8 SMALLER then the back measure ment. you will need a buddy or helper to help you do this. ifyou need to adjust turn the tie rod shaft till yo are there. once your done lock the jam nuts down. you can be between 1/16th and 1/8 and youu will be fine. it sounds complicated but its works.
I used to work on 18 wheelers for 20 years, and that is how we set the toe in on them! Should work perfect on a cart.
wrenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

wren thats how we still do it! we ave a toe bar and a scribe, but this is just as quick and i find it easier then maving the bar, setting the pointers, readjusting the pointers. paint it , scribe it and measure it! then adjust as needed. no real need to roll it back and forth. if you have a hunter laser machie thats fine to but you get with inthe 1.16 in tolerance this way. must manufature cal for a 1/8 diference anyways.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
wrenflyer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like we have something in common. I worked for Ryder Transportation for 20 years.

Tucks, Hope you get it sorted soon. I'm about to lift mine with a 6" lift.
wrenflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
thetucks
Gone Wild

Well this is what I did when I set it the first time. Im not sure if it was right or not. I put a 2x4 from the back tire to the front driver side tire. I made sure it was straight. I unhooked the tierod on the passenger side. While my father in law held the driver wheel straight with the 2x4 I took a second 2x4 and put it on the passenger side from the back wheel to the front also. This time I pushed the front of the tire in until the rim measured 1/8" in from the back of the rim. Then I adjusted the tierod and rehooked it back up. Im not sure it that was correct or not. I didnt really do anything to the struts on the bottom other than just put them on. Im not sure how they need to be adjusted. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
thetucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

that may workif the edge you used was level and straight. if your happy with it, drive it a bit and see if it pulls, or the wheel needs recentered. esy to do too. if it drives straight and the wheelis off center, the just pop the wheeloff and recenter it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

as far as the angle of the tirese, side to side, or top out and in and the same with the bottom, the cart should be checked empty , and then with more wieght in it, the whells should til inwoard toward the top. but set your toe, then if hwen you put the lift on, it should have let you know how to shift or set the caste, camber angle. if not theres a oblong head bolt in the center of the origanl spring that adjust this.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #17
thetucks
Gone Wild

Well I wasnt too happy with it so I took the tie rod end off and adjusted it a few more turns out which makes the front of the tires in more. But it still feels squirly. The steering wheel being off is the least of my worrys. I just want to drive right. Is this how they act once it is lifted? I love the lift on it I just hate that steering.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

got to rember the steering is set up for stock, tires or the heavy dutyu suspension on a carryall with 22 inch tires. even trucks and jeeps that are lifted get the same issues. tire inflation has some to do with it to.i got 22 on mine and they say 15 psi in the book. i ran them with 5 and it was a bit softer, but turning sucked. got the tire inflation to 15, and it does bounce quite a bit more, but it turns like a champ.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #19
thetucks
Gone Wild

I got to thinking about that. It says 5psi max for operating pressure. I put 6psi in them. My father in law had a 4 wheeler that handled the same way until he put quite a bit of air pressure in the tires. I think I will like the softer ride more. I may trie adding more pressure if it gets too annoying. Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

what i would do is to totally recenter your tie rods. bot left and right. turn them all the way in and count rev. to get them out. then set them to 1.2 way in. thats ruffly the center of your tie rod. then rerun your toe to 1/8 to 1/16 in in, meaning the front is angled in 1/8 to 1/16 mopr then back. use the way i discribed. i can send you pics of were to measure on my cart. if you need them. it easy just measure half way up the properly inflated tire, or measur the dia of the tire and divede it in half. the ho know where to measure on the front and back. just make sur ethe same person measures, or uses the smart end, and the same person uses the dumbe end. thats why you also mark the center of the tire. it puts your tape at the same spot.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car