lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Default Temporary 36v to 48v?

I have a 36v Series TXT EZGO with brand new 36 volt batteries. I have heard there is a way to wire in an additional 12v to pump it to 48v and use the standard 36v charger and a 12v charger with no other changes needed.

I'd like to try 48v it before dumping the $ into a full upgrade. Any info is appreciated - thanks!
LizardLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Temporary 36v to 48v?

like this I don't know about the no additional changes, because to go to 48v, you need to change your controller- F/R switch-- HD solenoid--#4 battery cables,--your not going to go from 36v to 48v with out hurting something

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You will also need to make sure your controller will handle 48v. You can short wire the solenoid to 36v in the pack. If you have a 36v battery state of charge meter you can short wire that to 36v as well.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Currently running stock motor, controller, solenoid and FNR. Was trying to figure out a way to try out the 48V before committing. My biggest issues are that the buggie came with 6 brand new 6v batteries so I would need to add 2 more 6V. Since I use the bag well for storage (fanny packs, etc.) when we're out hunting I didn't want to give up the space until I tried it out.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Borrow a couple of 6v batteries or in a pinch/test situation you could use a regular 12v battery to give you the feel for speed/torque etc.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

If I didn't have to buy the new controller etc. I'd probably just wire in a 12v to test it in the woods behind the house. But if I have to upgrade the controller, solenoiud, etc to test - that point the only extra expense to go 48v from testing are the batteries themselves. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
BLakeside
Gone Wild

LL I tested my 36v series (Curtis 1204-XXX GE 36v motor stock solenoid) for about 20 min's at 48v with no problems, except having to tell my wife to slow down and not to corner so FAST. I don't recommend this because you might fry something but when you see how well it runs you are going to 48v anyway.
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLakeside View Post
LL I tested my 36v series (Curtis 1204-XXX GE 36v motor stock solenoid) for about 20 min's at 48v with no problems, except having to tell my wife to slow down and not to corner so FAST. I don't recommend this because you might fry something but when you see how well it runs you are going to 48v anyway.
And that 36v motor runs real good on 48v
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardLeg View Post
Currently running stock motor, controller, solenoid and FNR. Was trying to figure out a way to try out the 48V before committing. My biggest issues are that the buggie came with 6 brand new 6v batteries so I would need to add 2 more 6V. Since I use the bag well for storage (fanny packs, etc.) when we're out hunting I didn't want to give up the space until I tried it out.
Listen, just go to 48v. You will NOT be disappointed. The difference is like night and day. By testing and short wiring you are just gonna burn something up because it is fairly complicated to the unfamiliar user. You have a series cart with 22's and you go hunting - 48v is a MUST HAVE for you.

Just do it!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A 36v controller seeing 48v can last a few days or a nano-second ~ We have read the results here again and again .... You will see somewhere around 30% increases in torque and speed if you do this properly... I know you said the F&R was upgraded by the dealer but sure would like to see pics of that switch cam before you head out into the forest there.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO