lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
If he is not experiencing any heat/resistance "staying cool" how will bigger cables improve range?
Of course in that case larger cables will not help in any way. From one cable set ebay listing it indicated our 2007 PDS already has #4 gauge installed in the last leg of flow to the batteries. I did not quickly confirm that for the PDS model but did see where the Series model did have #6 all the way to the motor.

I will try to pull temp readings tomorrow and hopefully a few others will so we can see for stock carts if buying more copper is helpful or just money wasted for bragging rights.

We know EZGO builds a very popular cart so I have a hard time seeing them try to save a few dollars and kill cart performance because great specs help them when bidding sales. In loose rock ours will slip the tires on take off which impressed me.

If we can get several sets of temps that would be helpful. It would be awesome if we could get a few stock cart numbers except for an upgrade to #6 cables end to end.

The shunt wound motor is just a different animal than the series wound motors.
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardket View Post
#6 cables have a higher voltage drop than #4. Voltage drop goes up with current draw. This equates to power loss i.e. reduced range.
Are you talking on paper or in a real EZGO cart?

The motor will cause a voltage when turned on but keep in mind it is not the draw of the motor that controls the current flow coming from batteries.

Why would EZGO use #4 cable in the PDS but #6 in the Series carts for the last leg to the motor?

The PDS is computer controlled were the Series if analog if I understand correctly after three days of golf cart ownership.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

PDS carts and modern SERIES carts are both Solid State Controlled.

Cart manufacturers build their carts for a defined set of circumstances. They meet that requirement, and nothing more. We, on the other hand, push these carts way past that design set and need more performance than the OEM design can deliver. We upgrade to extract the MOST from the drivetrain that is possible. Every upgrade helps with efficiency, and that helps with range.

If good enough is OK, fine. It's not OK with me, so I will seek out and implement improvements. It's a sickness.......
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
Are you talking on paper or in a real EZGO cart?
Can't change the laws of physics! You will have a voltage drop across any wire of any length at any voltage and current above zero due to resistance and that will be released in heat! The larger the wire is to the current draw, the less loss. The higher the voltage, the more current it can push through the wire. The question is: When is enough enough? Take a look at the calculator on the bottom of this page: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm The voltage drop X the current will be power loss (V*A=W).
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #15
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
PDS carts and modern SERIES carts are both Solid State Controlled.

Cart manufacturers build their carts for a defined set of circumstances. They meet that requirement, and nothing more. We, on the other hand, push these carts way past that design set and need more performance than the OEM design can deliver. We upgrade to extract the MOST from the drivetrain that is possible. Every upgrade helps with efficiency, and that helps with range.

If good enough is OK, fine. It's not OK with me, so I will seek out and implement improvements. It's a sickness.......
Thanks for the info that cleared that up for me and your confession.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #16
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Can't change the laws of physics! You will have a voltage drop across any wire of any length at any voltage and current above zero due to resistance and that will be released in heat! The larger the wire is to the current draw, the less loss. The higher the voltage, the more current it can push through the wire. The question is: When is enough enough? Take a look at the calculator on the bottom of this page: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm The voltage drop X the current will be power loss (V*A=W).
Does that mean your are talking about on paper?

I will pull the temps and see if EZGO is dropped energy in the cables on my cart.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #17
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
Does that mean your are talking about on paper?
It is only on paper when you can't measure or feel it anymore. On a 275Amp stock controller an flat ground, you may not notice much but it will be better and last longer. The harder you push, the more you will notice.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #18
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
It is only on paper when you can't measure or feel it anymore. On a 275Amp stock controller an flat ground, you may not notice much but it will be better and last longer. The harder you push, the more you will notice.
I agree with that point. The stock controller in our 2007 PDS I was thinking was 350 amp?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

when i first got my cart it was stock-meaning slow up a grade. first thing done was to change every cable to 4ga. this alone made a seat of the pants difference. just my experience and they are not too expensive, especially if you build your own.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #20
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
when i first got my cart it was stock-meaning slow up a grade. first thing done was to change every cable to 4ga. this alone made a seat of the pants difference. just my experience and they are not too expensive, especially if you build your own.
Thanks that was what I was needing to hear. Last night I found on with a redone end that does not look electrically health so I will order a new set end to end. Sure do not want a narrow road for those electrons to race down.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO