lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36v to 48v by adding a 12v deep cycle?

I am interested in converting from 36v to 48v. Currently I have an Alltrax 400 amp controller and heavy duty solenoid with 4g cables. If I add a 12v deep cycle in the pack will my 36 v solenoid carry it for a while. I will remove from the series to charge due to the fact that it will be added to the middle rather than then end. I am sure I will also need to disconnect my state of charge meter (led bar type). Any advise would be appreciated with regard to do's and don'ts. Thanks in advance.
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 48v by adding a 12v deep cycle?

The main reason I am interested in going this route is for cost saving right now as well as my batteries are probably at about 85% life and am not ready to start over.
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

First, your HD solenoid should handle the 48V. Many people have done it with great results, but it may also burn up in a week.

Next, You need to make sure that your controller will handle 48V. A 36V specific controller WILL NOT handle 48V.

Next, if your charge meter is rated for 36V, it will not accurately display the right coltage.

Lastly and most importantly, DO NOT JUST ADD A 12V DEEP CYCLE BATTERY TO YOUR PACK! In theory, this will give you 48V cheaply, but will cost more in the long run. A guy at my hunting club did this and the 12V battery lasted about 8 months. Also, it jacked up some of his other batteries and ended up just replacing the whole pack. You look like you have a nice cart in your avatar and I would just save up some money and do it right. FYI, a new 12V deep cycle battery is about $100. You can get 2 new 6V golf batteries from Sam’s for around $140.

Also, not sure what your current setup is but you may need some other stuff. If you have a nonPDS, its worth upgrading the F/R. Scotty has the best price around for this . Also, you should have a minimum of 4 gauge wires. Double check about your controller and make sure it is rated for 48V. You may get away with the HD 36V solenoid, at least for a little while? Lastly, you will need a way to charge the batteries. You can by a 48V charger or, use a 12V charger with your 36V charger. Gman has a nice write up for this way and it can save you some money. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...uates-48v.html If I remember, you can use your 36V solenoid with this?
Superman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Fish, pm sent.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO