lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
0517murphy
Redneck in Southside

Club Car

Default Re: brand new sport 2+2 overheats and stalls

now that's sound advice , be sure to let us know how it turns out
0517murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
james-s
Not Yet Wild

O.K. guys, the dealer has replied that he has drilled holes in his cover on his cart to relieve overheating, and that he wants to install a "hill-climbing chip" into the controller, and a fan to move air across the controller. It all sounds reasonable to me, except for dust getting into the controller (it is all dirt roads). But has anyone else ever heard of drilling holes, or adding a fan, or a hill-climbing chip? This dealer has been a lawn equipment dealer for a long time, but I'm not sure they've had carts that long or know that much about them, though certainly more than me.
james-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If he drills holes in the cover you can forget about using a garden hose in the battery bay for general cleanup. The steep hill chip will slow the cart down and add more regen when going downhill. I don't think he is headed in the right direction. I would suggest an aftermarket controller and a HD solenoid for your cart along with good 4g cables.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
james-s
Not Yet Wild

So maybe I should take the cart to a more experienced dealer in Houston to do an upgrade? The dealer I bought it from doesn't owe me an extra chip or better than stock controller, and might not make the best choice on components.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to do as the other post said. Its a new cart call EZGO. This guy is doing BS stuff to make it go. Does EZGO have a TSB that says drill holes and add fans? I doubt it and he has essentially voided your warranty as soon as it gets a little wet!
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Maybe you should take the cart to a more experienced EZ-Go dealer for WARRANTY work. If the cart was bought "new" and came from the factory equipped the way you bought it, then it should NOT be overheating for ANY reason. If it's out of warranty and you need a new controller, an aftermarket unit is your best value. OEM Curtis controllers are NOT cheap. Holes and fans are not the answer.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #17
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Agreed Gornoman.

OP what the serial number?
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
james-s
Not Yet Wild

So I'll attempt to contact E-Z-Go and see what they say.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
james-s
Not Yet Wild

The latest. I talked to E-Z-Go technical support this morning, he told me the dealer is following the factory recommended procedure, that's drilling holes in the controller cover and installing a fan. I have to wonder what's the source of this new problem,which tech support said is somewhat common, and if it just means I'll get a shorter life from the "drilled" controller and will switch to a different brand controller when that time comes.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-s View Post
The latest. I talked to E-Z-Go technical support this morning, he told me the dealer is following the factory recommended procedure, that's drilling holes in the controller cover and installing a fan.
Pretty shoddy solution as far as I see it.
If you are running a controller so close to the limits that you need to drill ventilation holes and install a fan to prevent thermal failure just doesn't seem right.
Maybe this is a temporary fix/field engineering until they figure out how many are having the problem before they start parts swapping.
Looks like the engineering department missed the mark on this one or it was "value engineered" a little too much.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO