lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
AdamB
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO suddenly stopped

I was driving my 1990 EZGO Electric cart this afternoon when suddenly it stopped running and sent the cart freely rolling backwards. At first I thought it was the batteries but after testing them I have 36 volts. Now that I've got it back to my garage when I put the switch in either Forward or Reverse and push the accelerator I hear the click followed by a faint whining and you can feel the cart very slightly trying to move in the direction of travel. I've had the cart a short time and unsure if this is a motor related problem or something simple I'm just unaware of. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
AdamB
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO suddenly stopped

**UPDATE**

After digging around through about 8 to 10 pages I came along a post that read a 36V reading is actually low and I should be looking for something around 38.2. Going to let the charger set on it for a while and I'll update if this doesn't work.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Sounds like a stripped brake hub/axle spline.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Sounds like a stripped brake hub/axle spline.
very common problem................take center cap off rear wheels and put in gear press pedal watch axles see which axle spins while wheel just sits there..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
AdamB
Not Yet Wild

Neither axle was freely spinning but something tells me it's a connection problem somewhere. So, I've got 30 feet of 4 gauge wire and new ends on order. Hopefully it will be here in time for a weekend project.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

leave your charger on til it quits charging, or at least overnight. check this chart. ideally you don't want the batteries to go below 70%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 13 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
ssruger44mag
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have the same problem with the same model. My grandfather gave it to me to FIX...ugh....so I checked the batteries...6.2 volts or better on all..he had someone replace the solenoid and the forward micro switch on the f/n/r.....solenoid shows 36v easy across the posts..key switch looked burned out and corroded...could not get consistent readings from it....so I replaced the key switch and it ran for 5 minutes then did same thing. I think maybe the f/n/r switch is bad. Problem is I really do not know which one to buy...a 5040 or a 5045. Only difference is the 45 has solid state speed control????? Any suggestions. I really doubt if your cart is acting like mine it is the axles. Mine when jacked up will sometimes spin the wheels like mad and others barely move them.
ssruger44mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
ssruger44mag
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Should always try the sticky's at the beginning of the forums. Scotty b gives good information. Followed the order from the manual and at step six tested the solenoid per Scotty b's instructions. Getting 38.4 across batteries and getting 38.4 at BOTH posts of the solenoid. Therefore a new solenoid is in order. Anyone have a suggestion as to the best place to get one!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssruger44mag View Post
Scotty b gives good information. Followed the order from the manual and at step six tested the solenoid per Scotty b's instructions. Getting 38.4 across batteries and getting 38.4 at BOTH posts of the solenoid. Therefore a new solenoid is in order. Anyone have a suggestion as to the best place to get one!!!!
You could try any of the sponsors here but seeing as you got all your information from ScottyB, why not try his website for a solenoid: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
ssruger44mag
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
You could try any of the sponsors here but seeing as you got all your information from ScottyB, why not try his website for a solenoid: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
dougmcp your probably right...but bad news the cart still does not run even with the new solenoid and i still get the same voltage at both solenoid posts. bought a new digital meter to be exactly certain and it reads 38.4 still at both posts. cart will run for a while then die. gonna replace all battery wires and connections and hope the motor is not going bad because it seems that when it runs awhile and heats up thats when it dies.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO