lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Medrep
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 92 EZGO is a no go.....

So for an update to the no go situation... the cart is still running! Although, last night, while carting my kid home from a friend's house, i noticed the cart would hesitate. Kinda felt like she was cutting off and on while cruising down the street. When she would hesitate, I would release and depress the gas peddle quickly and she would come back to life.

Does a solenoid act like this when it goes bad?
Seems like it would be easy enough to swap it out with a new or even a heavy duty unit.
I'm clueless but willing to learn!!
Thanks!!
Medrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Medrep
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Carry a voltmeter with you, and if it dies, confirm the solenoid is clicking and check if voltage is going through the solenoid. You said, "I hear a click when i press the peddle but no go." I assume the "click" was the solenoid?

Like I said above, mine became intermittant, and if you look at the photos, you can see why.
Now that I read your post slowly, you've answered my question. Guess I'll take the solenoid apart to see if it looks like your before picture above.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medrep View Post
Now that I read your post slowly, you've answered my question. Guess I'll take the solenoid apart to see if it looks like your before picture above.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!
Mine acted like yours, but then became real unreliable. The stock solenoid isn't easily torn apart. Once opened, you have to figure out how to reassemble. Unlike the good ole days, when everything was built to be worked on, these solenoids are throw-away devices. My rebuild was just to get it running for a holiday weekend buggy parade, and shouldn't be counted on for a long-term solution.

If you tear it apart and that isn't the problem, you may have ruined one for nothing.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Medrep
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Mine acted like yours, but then became real unreliable. The stock solenoid isn't easily torn apart. Once opened, you have to figure out how to reassemble. Unlike the good ole days, when everything was built to be worked on, these solenoids are throw-away devices. My rebuild was just to get it running for a holiday weekend buggy parade, and shouldn't be counted on for a long-term solution.

If you tear it apart and that isn't the problem, you may have ruined one for nothing.
Gotcha!
I think I'll pull the part and replace it and see how it goes.
The cart is all original less newer batteries of course. It's worth a try.
Thanks for the input and advise.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a thought. Did you check to see if the FnR nut on the back is loose ? I had the same problem and it turned out the FnR was a little loose so I was getting inconsistent contact. I keep a wrench in the glove box handy.
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Medrep
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The FnR switch is bolted down well.
Although, yesterday I went to a local cart shop to pick up the solenoid., When I described the hesitating and "no go" issues, he said it was likely not the solenoid but probably the potentiometer???

Where the heck is the potentiometer?

I looked in the PDF with the breakdown of the cart but didn't find an obvious potentiometer. I can't say I know what to look for, but I couldn't even find the word "potentiometer" in the manual.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Although, yesterday I went to a local cart shop to pick up the solenoid., When I described the hesitating and "no go" issues, he said it was likely not the solenoid but probably the potentiometer???

Where the heck is the potentiometer?

I looked in the PDF with the breakdown of the cart but didn't find an obvious potentiometer. I can't say I know what to look for, but I couldn't even find the word "potentiometer" in the manual.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks again!
Looking back through the thread and your other posts, I didn't see where you've identified your cart any further than saying it was a 1992 Marathon.
There were Resistor and Controller versions of the Marathon, but I'm not sure if the 92 came in both flavors.

Here's a schematic of both, which one do you have?

If it is the Resistor version, either you local cart guy isn't familiar with Marathons, or wasn't told it was the Resistor version and didn't ask or I wouldn't be writing this.

If it is the Controller version, your local cart guy was referring to the potentiometer used for the Throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo1rt4.jpg (57.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Pot Box cart wiring diagram.jpg (110.7 KB, 9 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Did you buy a new solenoid yet? I found the one I rebuilt, and would be willing to loan it to you for the cost of shipping. If it doesn't solve the problem, you will have saved a few bucks by not buying a new one.

Let me know.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: 92 EZGO is a no go.....

Just from glancing over the post, if it's a no go then start then no go more than likely it's heat related. The solenoid could be going out also as a cause of the heat problem heat puts more stress on other components over what they are suppose to see.
Things I would check.
F/R mechanical switch cam for burning and melting. Make sure the contacts are coming into contact with there partner or the cart want move. After the cool off it will start again if the heat has deformed the cam in anyway.

Make sure all the contacts are good shape.

Just because you hear a solenoid clunk doesn't mean it's working everytime.

1989 was when E-Z-GO started swaping the marothones over to controllers. This was my first cart and it had a controller.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO