lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2002 EZGO will not charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Re-Read the thread again.

If you haven't already done so, read all the STICKY:s at the top of the Electric EZGO forum and download the manuals in the bottom-most one.
The Service Manual has a schematic for a PowerWise charger on page K-6, which is page 142 of 228 in your PDF reader.

In your first post, you said you believed your cart was a PDS.
I see a Run/Tow on the controller cover in one of the pictures, so if it has a Forward/Reverse switch on the dash next to the key-switch, it is a PDS.
If the Forward/Reverse control is a lever under the driver's right knee, it's a DCS.
Don't think it will matter in this thread but you cannot assume it is a DCS because the shifter is next to your knee. I had a 2000 model PDS that had that same shifter. Shocked me but it was what it was.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Don't think it will matter in this thread but you cannot assume it is a DCS because the shifter is next to your knee. I had a 2000 model PDS that had that same shifter. Shocked me but it was what it was.
OP said it was a 2002 in his header and the caveat on the Sticky how to tell if you have a Sepex or Series motor said the chart was true, except for some 2000 and 2001 models.
Didn't think it applied, so I didn't mention it.

Thanks for pointing that subtlety out, I'll be more careful next time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A 2000 PDS is a rare cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
flynhigherx
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB,

Thanks for the help... You guys are amazing...

In your reply you said "If the fuse and ammeter are good and relay doesn't click, you might be spinning your wheels looking elsewhere."

The fuse is good! How do I know the ammeter is ok?

I disassembled the connector and cleaned the Auxiliary Contact and bent it out a bit as well.

Still no clicks or hum! Just crickets

The relay in the charger that should click would be the black box in my second picture to the upper right that has the two black wires connected to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (280.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 012.jpg (179.5 KB, 5 views)
flynhigherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
After you verify the 50 AMP fuse inside the charger is still good......

Unplug the AC cord from the wall, pull the 2 black wires from the relay inside the charger and connecct them together.

Plug the charger back into the wall and into the cart. Does the needle come up showing a charge?
Have you done this test yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhigherx View Post

The relay in the charger that should click would be the black box in my second picture to the upper right that has the two black wires connected to it?
Yes, that is the relay.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pull the 2 black wires from the relay in the picture. connect them to one another in a secure fashion. making sure they don't touch anything.

Plug the charger into the cart.

Note the battery pack standing voltage.

Plug the charger into AC supply.

Notice a hum coming from the charger?

If yes check voltage at the battery pack.
Has battery pack increased? If yes, replace the charger control board...

Do not use the charger in this manner as it will damage the batteries. This is only for testing purposes.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
flynhigherx
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No I had forgotten to accomplish that check.

I disconnected the relay, connected those wires together, plugged the charger into the cart and then plugged the cart into the ac outlet.

ScottyB,

While I was outside performing this check I hadnt read your next post and didnt check any voltages while accomplishing this test. Should I do it again?

The charger is plugged into a surge protector and has always operated that way. At this point the charger hummed. I looked at the amp meter which was still on zero. Approximately 5 seconds later the surge protector tripped.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

JohnnieB,

Wasn't trying to be a smart butt so if it came off that way I apologize. Keep it up with the info.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
flynhigherx
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB,

I measured the battery pack standing voltage at the positive and negative cables on the controller side of cart. Voltage 37.4 VDC.

I plugged the charger in with the two black relay wires connected. I left the volt meter connected during this entire process. Again the charger hummed and the amp meter stayed on 0. The voltage never moved off of 37.4 VDC. Again the power strip trips after a few seconds. When looking for the voltage increase do I need to plug directly into an outlet and let the charger operate for a few minutes or was this test valid? And with the battery pack voltage not changing during this process does it still lead to the charger control board?

Thx again...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #20
rhino642zz
Not Yet Wild

I have a PDS having similar problems. The charger works when plugged into another cart so I don't think it is the prob. Put a new solenoid in and the charger/cart stopped working. No sound from charger. Could I have wired the solenoid wrong?

Thanks,
Dal
rhino642zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO