lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Problem Fixed

It was a bad battery. I replaced the battery and it did the exact same thing that the other one did. So I keep charging it up and running it dead and with each charge it is taking longer to charge and it lasts longer with each charge. At the beginning when I first changed the battery and before I charged it the charge indicator light would blink on 100% now it's solid green. So I think we are good but I will keep u posted
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmia96 View Post
................So I keep charging it up and running it dead and with each charge it is taking longer to charge and it lasts longer with each charge...............
New batteries need to be broken in, but running them dead isn't part of it.

Here's the process: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

While you are there, go up one level to the Home-Page and read everything with battery in the title.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I should have told you that it's not a new battery, it's a battery from 2010 that I got from another cart. The battery just sat and drained. Anyways I had 5 fully charged battery's and one almost dead one.and it was the 3rd battery in the pack. So whenever i would plug my charger in it would skip over the drained battery and put little to no charge in it. So I took the drained battery and swapped it with the first battery in the pack so the drained battery would be the first battery the charger starts to charge . At first the golf cart just clicked and wouldn't move, I put it on the charger for 20 minutes and it moved very very slowly. So I put it on the charger for another 30 minutes and it moved a little faster. So I put it on the charger and went into the house. So by morning it will be fully charged and ready to go. It was stuck on 10% for an hour at least. I will test it tomorrow afternoon and post an update. We should be good from here but I will keep updating the thread.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good Job
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I should have told you that it's not a new battery, it's a battery from 2010 that I got from another cart. The battery just sat and drained. Anyways I had 5 fully charged battery's and one almost dead one.and it was the 3rd battery in the pack. So whenever i would plug my charger in it would skip over the drained battery and put little to no charge in it. So I took the drained battery and swapped it with the first battery in the pack so the drained battery would be the first battery the charger starts to charge . At first the golf cart just clicked and wouldn't move, I put it on the charger for 20 minutes and it moved very very slowly. So I put it on the charger for another 30 minutes and it moved a little faster. So I put it on the charger and went into the house. So by morning it will be fully charged and ready to go. It was stuck on 10% for an hour at least. I will test it tomorrow afternoon and post an update. We should be good from here but I will keep updating the thread.
I don't understand why where a battery is placed in the pack would have any effect on it's charging?
I'm glad you are having success, though, and it works out for you!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
...............Anyways I had 5 fully charged battery's and one almost dead one.and it was the 3rd battery in the pack. So whenever i would plug my charger in it would skip over the drained battery and put little to no charge in it. So I took the drained battery and swapped it with the first battery in the pack so the drained battery would be the first battery the charger starts to charge............
Huh? I don't understand.

Are you charging your batteries individually with a 6V charger, or somehow just charging 5 of the 6 with a 36V charger?

Please explain or post pictures of your set-up.

As Simpleman alluded to, with batteries connected in series, it doesn't matter where they are in the chain, they all have the same charging current passing through them.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What if one battery is bad John? Will it still pass the same amount of current? I am just trying to learn. As you know. This is not an insult to anybodies intelligence only for my own good
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
What if one battery is bad John? Will it still pass the same amount of current? I am just trying to learn. As you know. This is not an insult to anybodies intelligence only for my own good
In a series circuit, the current flow is the same through all components making up the circuit. It's like connecting garden hoses together. If you've got five 3/4" ID hoses and one 1/2" ID hose connected end to end, the water flow is limited to whatever GPH will flow through the 1/2" ID hose at the water pressure you have at the faucet.

A bad battery won't pass the same amount of current as a good battery, but the current flow through all batteries in the series will be the same.
This is true whether the batteries are being charged or discharged.

The same water and hose analogy applies to the motor current in a series cart. Total motor current passes through every cable, component and connector in the high current motor circuit and is limited by the least conductive item amongst them.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What I had done was I took the DEAD battery and arranged it in the pack of 6 batteries so that it would be the FIRST battery the (normal golf cart charger) Starts to charge. I figured if the DEAD battery was the FIRST battery in the pack the charger would see right away that it was a Dead battery right away and charge it which it did....All night long. But now the golf cart barely moves at all and whenever I plug the charger in fly's right up to 100% Charged, with a blinking Green Light. So basically the (1) Dead battery is a BAD ONE (WONT HOLD CHARGE). So I need to buy (1) New Battery and we will be golden. ........... I Hope
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds feasible. Get a hydrometer and measure specific gravity in relation to all other batteries. It will tell you whether or not you have a bad cell. Only costs like $5 from any auto parts store.

Tags
1999 txt ezgo, electric, ezgo, ezgo txt, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO