lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Revspan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2007-battery questions

Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2007 Yamaha 48v cart and am looking for some advice.

A brief description of the cart is that is has been lifted 6", and has 23" tires on it. Also had a light kit and stereo added.

My main concern is the health of the batteries. They are Trojan 1275s, but I am unsure where to find the date code on them. Can someone help me with this?

Also, I installed a volt meter to monitor the total voltage and it seems that the combination of the colder weather here in Michigan and maybe the age of the batteries, and the tire size, that the batteries may be ready for replacement.

Last night, it was about 40 deg, and my boy and I took the cart out for about a 2 mile ride in our sub. It is pretty hilly, so the cart works pretty hard. I honestly didn't know if we would make it back, as the voltage in was dropping down lower than I have ever seen.....into the 30s! At one point, going up a hill, toward the end of the trip, I saw 37 volts.

I have checked and watered the batteries properly, and have measured the individual voltage of each battery, which ranges from 12.4-12.3 after sitting 12 hours. Total voltage after charge when it was warmer would be about 50.2 volts, now that it is colder, it is just under 50 volts. I have not checked Sp G yet as I do not have a hydrometer....although I could get one.

I hate to think that the batteries need to be replaced, but if they do, I will bite the bullet.

If they do need replaced, any recommendations on what to replace them with, and where the best place to get them? Any other comments?

Thanks in advance.
Revspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 2007-battery questions

I think the date code is stamped on the NEG terminal?? Maybe a letter for the month and a number for the year...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your batteries are not coming up to a full charge and they are dropping too low under load to be healthy. My guess is it is time for new batteries. What is that date code?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Revspan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the info on how to find the date codes. Turns out they are J7, which should be oct of '07.....over 5 years old.

Also found a battery shop that is going to test the batteries tomorrow. If they need to be replaced, he has Crown 155 ah batteries for $175 each(they are 12v) to replace the Trojan 1275s.

Any comments on the replacement batteries...and their prices?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Revspan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well. The batteries were weak...borderline at best. I replaced all of them and have them charging. Tomorrow I will see how we'll they work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha