lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 Club Car quit moving

I have a 1980 club car that just quit running. It has brand new batteries with cables and has ran great for a couple weeks until yesterday. It wouldn't move I figured maybe the batteries were dead so I charged it last night and still got nothing today. I believe the batteries are charged as long as I did my voltage test correctly. I can here solenoids clicking when I hit the gas peddle but I only hear 4 clicks and there are 5 solenoids not sure if this is right or not. I tried jumping the master solenoid with a screwdriver and got nothing mind you I didn't jack the back wheels up but I don't think that would make a difference. I then switched the master solenoid with the one beside it and I still got nothing. I don't know what to do this is frustrating. Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
corycartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1980 Club Car quit moving

Jack one or two wheels up off the floor for safety. These carts can start suddenly and do some serious damage while testing if precautions are not taken.

The solenoid on the drivers side is the master. It must click to supply power to the 4 speed solenoids. Sounds like you may need a new solenoid there, if all five of the micro switches (ms) in the little box at the gas peddle linkage are clicking and working.

In this system these is a ms for each solenoid. Both the ms and solenoids are suspect until you can verify they work. You will need a voltmeter to test.
What is the battery pack voltage?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

I did replace the master solenoid with the one directly beside it do you think this would still be suspect? The pack voltage reads around 50v which seems weird being a 36 volt cart but I think my volt meter reads high. How do I know If the solenoids by the gas pedal linkage are working? From what I can tell is I get power at all 5 solenoids large posts when the gas pedal is pressed so I figured everything up to that point would be good but I'm most likely wrong I don't know a whole lot about electric carts
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your meter needs a fresh battery.
Then recheck the pack
The 5 micro switches (ms) in the peddle box trigger the solenoids, the solenoids pass current to the motor.
You need all 5 solenoids to click. IF all 5 click and the cart won't go, then check
all cable connections
F&R switch does not pass current
Solenoid clicks but does not pass current
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

Ok can you explain how to test all of this like I said I'm pretty green at this. I'm not even sure where to locate these micro switches. If I have power at all 5 solenoids when the pedal is pressed is it safe to say the micro switches are all working? Thanks sorry for all the questions
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

I tested the solenoids large posts with a test light and they all have power with the pedal pressed
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by corycartman View Post
I tested the solenoids large posts with a test light and they all have power with the pedal pressed
are all 5 solenoids clicking in linear succession as you press the gas?
You will need a good meter to proceed.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

When I hit the gas pedal and hear the first click all 4 large posts on the master solenoid and first gear solenoid light up. Then as I press the pedal a little further until the next click then the 2nd gear solenoids big posts light up and so on until I get to the last solenoid.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

F&R not passing the current then?

You need a voltmeter
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
corycartman
Not Yet Wild

I have a different volt meter now how do I test the f/r switch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car