lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
boydx6
Not Yet Wild

Default Auxiliary battery for president full light kit

I want to run all of the lights to an extra battery. I have an 48v 09 President with full light kit. When I try and run the lights to the extra battery. it doesn't work. The blinkers/horn etc... I can hear the relay clicking but that is all. I checked the voltage and am getting 18v so somehow I am still getting power from the cart. Any ideas? My local dealer has never heard of anyone doing this on a CC Pres.
boydx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Auxiliary battery for president full light kit

Sounds like your light system isn't isolated completely. It should be.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

Did you remove the ground from the pack and run it to the aux battery?
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
boydx6
Not Yet Wild

I removed the pos and neg light harness wires from the main battery bank and connected them to the aux battery.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
boydx6
Not Yet Wild

Anyone else have an idea for me to try?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Culln5
Getting Wild

I just added an auxillary battery to my 07 Precedent.
  • Mounted the auxillary battery in the dash
  • Ran positive and negative from the auxillary battery to a grounded fuse block
  • Removed the fused "blue wire" form battery #4 and ran power to it from the new fuse block
  • Ran a negative wire from the fuse block to light harness ground wire (I'm sure it is still also grounded to the battery pack through that wire also)

The head lights and tail lights worked perfectly. Then a couple weeks ago I added the turn signals, horn, and brake lights. I did nothing different from the instructions that came with the kit (using all of the harness wires as shown). Now I will mention that when I wired the relay two of the wires (orange and blue/white maybe) were 48v. So, obviously, they are not running soley on the auxilliary battery.

I have a neighbor who has also installed the light kit from scratch on his pack and his brake lights are noticably brighter than mine. But other than that, everything else works identical.

George
Culln5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Culln5
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydx6 View Post
I removed the pos and neg light harness wires from the main battery bank and connected them to the aux battery.
I couldn't locate the specific ground wire so I ran a ground from the auxillary battery fuse block to the existing ground wire. So, the harness is grounded by both the pack and the auxillary battery.

George
Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Why not run everything from the aux battery? When I first got my cart, I wired lights and stereo to the harness behind the dash, which was powered by the pack batteries. I later added an aux battery and ran power and ground from it to the wiring area between the pack batteries and removed the power feed from the pack batteries. Works great for me. I know I ran + to where the blue wire from the pack was plugged in, and I think I remember running ground to a yellow wire with a bullet connector on it - but don't remember the specifics - but a member from this site advised me on it. I do know I rewired nothing behind the dash or forward of the battery bay.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Culln5
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLifeCC View Post
Why not run everything from the aux battery?........ I think I remember running ground to a yellow wire with a bullet connector on it - but don't remember the specifics.
It was my intention to wire everything to the ancillary battery and it pretty much is (headlights, LED's, radio, cigarette lighter, horn). If I could get specifics about the ground and bullet connector, I would do it. But like I previously said, the relay for the brake lights and turn signals has a 48v+ & -. So I'm not sure that would work out.

George
Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
ArmyVetSgtAdkins
Philippians 4:13

Club Car

I think if you do as Salt life said you should be OK, run hot from aux battery to blue wire that was originally connected to 4th battery then run ground to the yellow bullet connector that will be under the center cover close to where the controller is located and that should totally disconnect the lights from your pack and put it on the aux. Battery
ArmyVetSgtAdkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auxillary, light kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car