lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha Drive Blows Flasher Relays

I've had my Yamaha Drive for about two years now. It is a 48 volt system with headlights, brake lights and blinkers. Over the past two years, it has gone through three turn signal flashers. These are the round can type with mechanical contacts. The flasher is mounted under the front cowling up high and doesn't appear to be getting a lot of water splash when it's wet out.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem or heard of it? Any ideas or suggestions to improve the life of the flasher can?

Thanks,
Tom T
tomtt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha Drive Blows Flasher Relays

try a different brand. the tin cans do not hold up
swampsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'm trying one of the "upgraded" flashers with the plastic enclosure. I also plan to put some vaseline around the contacts to hold off water (maybe that will help).

Thanks for the response.

Tom T
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

does everything else work like its designed to.

I have seen those regulators go bad and let more than 12-14V go thru and burn stuff up.

Last one I replaced let 24V go thru. it blew the light fuse and all lights plus the flasher.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

I'll take a voltage reading to see what's getting to the flasher. The lights definitely don't appear to be more bright than normal, but the voltage could still be too high.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom T
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
tomtt2
Not Yet Wild

Hey COURTESYCARTS,

I got a chance to check the voltage getting to the flasher today. I charged the battery pack then probed the connector to the flasher (red lead). With the negative lead attached to the battery for a good ground, I got a reading of 13~13.5 VDC at the connector (still attached). I think that this is a reasonable voltage reading since the flasher is rated for 11~15 VDC. Bummer. I was hoping that you had nailed it.

At this point, I' hoping that the vaseline on (and in) the flasher connector will help keep moisture and related possible shorting out of the system. I'll update any further finding.

Regards,
Tom T

Tags
flasher, turn signals, yamaha drive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha