lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default How to make my Precedent i2 go as fast as possible!

Hi there. I live overseas on an island where only golf carts are allowed as private vehicles and I have just bought a new Precedent i2 Villager 4 electric golf cart (my old petrol Parcar having recently been destroyed by a lorry).

I have gone from the fastest cart on the road (no speed dial so I don't know how fast) to the slowest and am finding this super-frustrating.

I am here on a mission to make my cart as fast as possible. I am prepared to buy anything that will help, but will probably need to get most items shipped here from the USA. So far I have worked out that the i2 comes with a programmable speed controller that I can get the dealer to adjust (assuming that they have the right programmer), but have no idea if there are better speed controllers on the market that I should replace this with. I have also read about lift kits, but don't know what the optimum lift and wheel replacement options would be, and how much difference this would make to performance. And then there are possibly things I can do to the motor, or should I even change the motor?

I'm dedicated to this cause. Right now I understand that the i2 maxes out at just 14mph/23kph and that the stock controller might allow the speed to be adjusted up to 19mph/31kph. This isn't going to be enough! Grateful for any experience that others here might have to share...
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: How to make my Precedent i2 go as fast as possible!

What speed are you trying to accomplish?
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Cheapest option would be one of the speed magnets or magnet/speed sensor trickers. If available, an alltrax controller would unlock all the speed that the motor is capable of, but that is the expensive route.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Is this an excel cart? What is the serial number? If the cart is brand new then the controller should have the latest software. The magnet will not do anything unless you turn off the braking setting in the controller
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
Is this an excel cart? What is the serial number? If the cart is brand new then the controller should have the latest software. The magnet will not do anything unless you turn off the braking setting in the controller
You beat me to it!
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Pardon me if i was wrong about the magnet suggestion, sorry. But my question would be, if the speed sensor circuit were telling the controller that the motor were only going half as fast as it was actually going, why would the controller not try to increase motor speed to achieve the controllers desired motor max speed? I understand that double speed using this method is an unreasonable expectation (that was just an example), but some speed increase would be reasonable based on how a particular motor responds to more voltage up to max pack voltage. I have used this method on some newer 48v sepex TXTs with curtis controllers, with a speed increase of about 5 mph on a cart that already did 19mph. Not doubting the pros knowledge, im curious about why and what methods are being used to eliminate this possibility.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoco View Post
. . . the "new" i2 Villager 4 carts utilize the Excel Electric Drive System per CC site . . . guess we need OP to define "new", as in year . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Hi and thanks for all the replies. My serial number is PV1041-136753. It's a new Precedent i2 Villager 4 electric golf cart and it is 48V (6 x 8V batteries).

I know that the Club Car agent should be able to adjust the existing speed controller, but I don't know if there are speed controllers that would accomplish more than the existing one. It will cost me to get the agent out to adjust the controller, so I might as well upgrade the controller now if there are better options out there.

I would guess my old golf petrol golf cart used to do about 30mph and a lot faster down hill (which is a little scary in a golf cart) and I'm sure that this cart had been modified by its previous owner...I don't know if anything like this speed will be possible in my electric cart, but I would like to get it going as fast as I can.

I don't mind throwing some $s at this if it will make a significant difference.

All ideas appreciated!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

In response to Steve - new means ordered in December 2013 and just delivered...brand new. However, this was shipped to Hong Kong via and agent in Southern China, so possibly made a few months ago.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Ok so it is brand new and would have the latest software.

The stock controller has different speed settings, up to 19mph. It also has a few acceleration settings and the braking settings(has to be turned to none for the magnet to work). So either way you are going to have to have someone turn the controller up and/or turn the braking off(for the magnet).

30 mph IS achievable in an electric cart. I do not think you are going to get to 30mph without changing the gear ratio in the differential. If you do decide to make the leap, the first thing I would do would be upgrade the brakes. The stock mechanical drums will probably stop the cart however I would not stand in front of it to test it out. If this is going to be your daily driver then in my opinion disc brakes are a must.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car