lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default installing a stereo in a yamaha drive help please

I am getting ready to install a stereo in my Yamaha drive. I guess I need to know where to start. What size and type of wire, fuses, reducers? I found some good threads that say where to hook everything up but I don't know what materials I need to start. Please help! Also do I use a dedicated battery for the stereo or just hook it to my battery pack. I have 4 12volt batteries in my cart. Where can I buy the materials that I need for the install? I want to put a switch in it as well to shut off power to the stereo. That is how it was installed in my old cart but I don't remember the installation process that was years ago.
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: installing a stereo in a yamaha drive help please

Hammertime I would def use a auxiliary battery for accessories (stereo, lights power point etc. ) The drives have a great spot for it . Here is a pic where I mounted my 12v deep cycle battery in mine (I've cleaned all the wires up since this pic was taken lol) . Already slots in the battery tray for hold downs and everything . As far as the stereo wiring 12 - 14ga . wire will work for all the power and grounds . Be sure to post pics of that overhead console . Curious to see how it sounds too. - Mayor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yama 33.jpg (125.5 KB, 0 views)
Mayor of G Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

is there an actual wiring diagram? If you use a dedicated battery how much run time do you get out of it? Finally, I assume that I don't need a voltage reducer if I power it from a 12 volt battery? I am guessing a deep cell would work the best? is there an inline fuse? sorry for all of the questions. I will have this thing put together soon, I am finishing up a remodel on our master bathroom which is taking up all of my spare time! Still 0 degrees here so I am in no huge hurry to get it done but it will be warming up soon~!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

do you just plug that into a charger when not in use? my old cart just drew off of the battery pack from what I remember
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Mayor of G Vegas
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The run time will be great with a deep cycle . I've run my HID headlights and underbody lights all day long and stayed up strong .No reducer needed. So with your stereo you should be golden . I charge mine with a lil trickle charger when im charging the cart batteries . It's a "Battery Tender" so you can leave it hooked up and dont have to woory about over charging the battery. And far as I know there is no diagrams on that . Its pretty straight forward . - Mayor
Mayor of G Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
meadowlark
Not Yet Wild

You didn't mention the make of the stereo that you want to install but you can find wiring diagrams for a lot of after market radios on Google.
I installed a Clarion DB625 MP radio in my cart and found the Manual online. There is a wiring diagram in the Manual that is pretty typical for hooking up to power and speakers.
With regards to the power I also would suggest a separate deep cycle battery to run your lights, turn signal switch (if you plan to add one) and your radio.
Separate 12V ON/Off switches for the radio are readily available on ebay.
meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

any particular size for the deep cycle? just a 12volt deep cycle is that what I want?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
meadowlark
Not Yet Wild

This is what I'm using. I think I bought it at Lowes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (400.0 KB, 0 views)
meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha