lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1999 DS Cart won't move

My name is Greg, and I am in Northern California. This is my first post. I recently bought a 1999 Club Car DS 48V series cart. F-R lever rather than rocker switch and no tow mode switch. The cart has been remanufactured from top to bottom, with almost every component being new. Transaxle, motor, all suspension and steering, batteries, wiring, etc. I have used it for about a dozen rounds of golf with no problems. Yesterday I was starting from a stop when the cart gave a small lurch, and wouldn't move in either direction. I hear a solenoid pick when I depress the pedal , and it makes a faint effort to move, but can't. I put it in neutral and towed it a quarter mile home, and put it up on blocks. With no load, it will turn the wheels slowly with a shudder of effort in either direction. I can't see any mechanical linkage problem. The battery pack shows 50.9 volts, with each battery testing at 8.48 or 8.49 volts. I suppose my next move is to open up the slice of pie shaped controller between the batteries that is connected to the pedal linkage. Just looking for some direction from some of you guys who obviously know these carts far better than I do. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hitandrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 DS Cart won't move

. . . if you can, load test each battery and also check the SG of each cell in each battery . . . that is where I would start . . . also check all connections that they are clean/tight . . . a battery can appear to be "good", ie, full charge, but have a bad cell that brings down the whole pack under load . .

. . . and Welcome to BGW!
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
smackdaddy66
Getting Wild
Club Car

I had a cart that acted similarly. Ended up being a loose connection on one if the battery terminals.

Smackdaddy66
smackdaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree - these guys are steering you in the right direction. Check the battery pack first.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK. I will check all cable connections at the batteries and also motor, etc. I will have some time this afternoon to chase it. I hope it is something that simple. I will post results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks, guys
Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

All cable connections at the battery, motor, and everywhere else are clean and tight. My only way to load test the batteries was to monitor voltage at each one when I throttle up the cart, and all were very good. I do get a strong battery acid smell when I throttle up the cart. The wheel turn, but slowly and noisily. Also, what I originally thought was the solenoid picking when I press the pedal is actually a micro-switch. I jumpered the solenoid with the same results. Are there tests I can do to isolate a component?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, this has been interesting. I have been chasing this problem for a couple of days. I got a hydrometer and checked all the batteries, no problems. I downloaded the manual and read the troubleshooting section. With the cart up on blocks, I still didn't have room to access several points, so I removed the canopy and the rear body. I did all the tests for won't move-solenoid clicks. Solenoid, F-R switch, controller, potentiometer, motor, etc. NTF. I did all tests for cart runs slow, and when I got to On Board Computer Lockout, I ran the tests and then tried the cart, and it worked fine. I have not put everything back together yet, but with no load, it is fine.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, my cart is back to working like new. It now seems that all this monkey motion I went through could have been avoided by simply taking battery power away from the On Board Computer to reset it. That leaves me with the question: Why isn't that the first item on any troubleshooting checklist? I am carrying a 1/4" ratchet and 1/2" socket on the cart, so if it happens again, I won't be stranded. FOR ANYBODY WHO EXPERIENCE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS, YOUR FIRST MOVE SHOULD BE TO DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT THE BATTERY PACK. I hope my experience will save somebody else the headaches I went through.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitandrun View Post
Well, my cart is back to working like new. It now seems that all this monkey motion I went through could have been avoided by simply taking battery power away from the On Board Computer to reset it. That leaves me with the question: Why isn't that the first item on any troubleshooting checklist? I am carrying a 1/4" ratchet and 1/2" socket on the cart, so if it happens again, I won't be stranded. FOR ANYBODY WHO EXPERIENCE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS, YOUR FIRST MOVE SHOULD BE TO DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT THE BATTERY PACK. I hope my experience will save somebody else the headaches I went through.
. . . what you describe as your "fix" actually points to a different problem . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
Hitandrun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay. What would the problem be?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car