lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
bunnypower
Not Yet Wild

Default DS 99 cart not charging

Hi guys. I have a problem with my 99 DS cart not charging. I have had this on going problem for months now.
I have tried my charger on another cart and it works fine. I replaced the receptacle and the cart started charging again and was working fine for a couple of weeks until the same problem came back. I found if I disconnected the red wire from the receptacle to the battery and then reconnected it, the cart would charge again for a week and then the same problem would come back.
It got to the stage were I had to follow this process every time I recharged the batteries. It is now at a stage where nothing is working at all.
Any help would be appreciated.
bunnypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
RPatten
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: DS 99 cart not charging

Any help on this one?
RPatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
crash test dummy

36v or 48v ?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
bunnypower
Not Yet Wild

It is a 48 v cart. I am going to replace the obc as I tried to reset it and nothing happened.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnypower View Post
It is a 48 v cart. I am going to replace the obc as I tried to reset it and nothing happened.
. . I think you are on the right path . . . do you have a friend's OBC you could swap into your cart to see if it fixes your issue first? . . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
crash test dummy

first try a OBC by pass
to by pass OCB
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC.

The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay. If the charger doesn’t come on, it could be bad connections, wiring or charger relay.
if charger comes on OBC is bad

The second method is to open the charger and remove the 120V wires from the relay and jump these together. This totally bypasses the relay and the OBC wire.

(If charger comes on but the charger ammeter shows 0 amps, check the fuse at the charging receptacle under the clear plastic cover.)

Both of these methods should both be temporary measures for troubleshooting, or as an emergency method of charging the batteries when they have been discharged so far that the OBC will not charge them.

The OBC provides the optimum method of charging the cart’s batteries. If the OBC is bad, it should be replaced
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
first try a OBC by pass
to by pass OCB
DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.…do not attempt unless you are familiar with electricity and electronics!
There are two ways to force the charger to turn on regardless of the OBC.

The first method is to disconnect the cart’s gray wire at the fuse near the charger receptacle. Then using a jumper wire, connect the receptacle side of the fused connector to the cart’s negative battery terminal. This will energize the charger’s 48V relay. If the charger doesn’t come on, it could be bad connections, wiring or charger relay.
if charger comes on OBC is bad

The second method is to open the charger and remove the 120V wires from the relay and jump these together. This totally bypasses the relay and the OBC wire.

(If charger comes on but the charger ammeter shows 0 amps, check the fuse at the charging receptacle under the clear plastic cover.)

Both of these methods should both be temporary measures for troubleshooting, or as an emergency method of charging the batteries when they have been discharged so far that the OBC will not charge them.

The OBC provides the optimum method of charging the cart’s batteries. If the OBC is bad, it should be replaced
. . . as stated, charger works fine on another cart . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
bunnypower
Not Yet Wild

Very strange. I was out at the shed where my cart is stored 2 days ago and when I left the charger wasn't working but plugged in. I went out today to get the serial number from the cart and while I was there I unplugged the charger and did a little bit of cleaning as well.
When I was leaving I plugged the charger back in and it clicked on straight away. The strange part was that the needle on the charger dropped down to showing almost a full charge in the cart.
My guess is that sometime over the last 2 days, the charger has clicked in and charged the cart. As I am in Australia, it may be 2 weeks before I have a new OBC to put in the cart as it looks like I have to wait for one to be shipped from the states. I will let you know the outcome when I put in a new OBC
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car