lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brand New Alltrax DCX400 controller, solenoid, batteries, cables and nothing....h

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Might be an issue-- ? johnnieB ? is this possible problem?
small Red wire on charger harness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Yep, thats a problem, if your reed switch is still part of the system.
I must be getting senile. I missed that completely.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-23-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brand New Alltrax DCX400 controller, solenoid, batteries, cables and nothing....h

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Might be an issue-- ? johnnieB ? is this possible problem?
small Red wire on charger harness?
Ok, sorry for the 72 hour delay. I was traveling. The good thing is that battery charger, and switches arrived so I think y'all were on to something with the reed switch. I had not connected my charger plug to my system yet. When I did that I connected the red wire. Apparently that allows the controller/solenoid to power up???

I flipped by controller around on the heat sink so I could see the LED better and made sure all the wiring made sense. Charged my batteries to 100% and connected everything up to new key switch and F/R switch (mine is a PDS so the little switch). Powered it up. It cycled the solenoid and blinked 4 times to start off with, problem is it blinked Red, then went to Solid red. I didn't see any error codes for that. My F/R switch was in Forward. I decided to depress the accelerator to see what happened and my tires rolled backwards......

Not sure where to start. Must be something in the key switch or F/R maybe? Everything else is connected exactly how it is shown in the diagram that JohnnieB posted.

I decided to go out and check one last time before I posted this to make sure my wires were connected right on the F/R. I have them labeled from the disassembly but I thought I would reverse the green and the orange just to check. I did that and no power. No solenoid, no LED. I switched it back and nothing. It was working (albeit backwards) a few minutes ago and now all of the sudden no power to the controller again......I don't know. We were making good progress until this just happened. I figured I would need to swap a wire or something I got backwards and that would be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg (91.8 KB, 0 views)
gunnardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnardog View Post
Ok, sorry for the 72 hour delay. I was traveling. The good thing is that battery charger, and switches arrived so I think y'all were on to something with the reed switch. I had not connected my charger plug to my system yet. When I did that I connected the red wire. Apparently that allows the controller/solenoid to power up???

I flipped by controller around on the heat sink so I could see the LED better and made sure all the wiring made sense. Charged my batteries to 100% and connected everything up to new key switch and F/R switch (mine is a PDS so the little switch). Powered it up. It cycled the solenoid and blinked 4 times to start off with, problem is it blinked Red, then went to Solid red. I didn't see any error codes for that. My F/R switch was in Forward. I decided to depress the accelerator to see what happened and my tires rolled backwards......

Not sure where to start. Must be something in the key switch or F/R maybe? Everything else is connected exactly how it is shown in the diagram that JohnnieB posted.

I decided to go out and check one last time before I posted this to make sure my wires were connected right on the F/R. I have them labeled from the disassembly but I thought I would reverse the green and the orange just to check. I did that and no power. No solenoid, no LED. I switched it back and nothing. It was working (albeit backwards) a few minutes ago and now all of the sudden no power to the controller again......I don't know. We were making good progress until this just happened. I figured I would need to swap a wire or something I got backwards and that would be it.
At least it is powering up now.
Four Green LED flashes means it is programmed for an EZGO ITS throttle.

However, the solid Red LED means it is in programming mode. I had to reload the field map when my DCX gave me a steady Red LED.

Contact whoever you got the DCX400 from, or talk to Alltrax
Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
At least it is powering up now.
Four Green LED flashes means it is programmed for an EZGO ITS throttle.

However, the solid Red LED means it is in programming mode. I had to reload the field map when my DCX gave me a steady Red LED.

Contact whoever you got the DCX400 from, or talk to Alltrax
Well it powered up until I messed with it some more and now it doesn't. It is acting the same it was before I connected my charging plug with the red wire.

Where is this reed switch that y'all talked about. Is it in the charging plug?

How would I test and/or replace it?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Well it powered up until I messed with it some more and now it doesn't. It is acting the same it was before I connected my charging plug with the red wire.

Where is this reed switch that y'all talked about. Is it in the charging plug?

How would I test and/or replace it?
If the battery charger is plugged in, the reed switch is open. Disabling the cart so you cannot drive away with charger attached is the sole reason for the Reed switch.

It caused so many problems that EZGO stopped putting it in their carts, so most cart owners just bypass them and run the charger cable through the steering wheel as a reminder if driving away with it attached is a likelihood.

See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the battery charger is plugged in, the reed switch is open. Disabling the cart so you cannot drive away with charger attached is the sole reason for the Reed switch.

It caused so many problems that EZGO stopped putting it in their carts, so most cart owners just bypass them and run the charger cable through the steering wheel as a reminder if driving away with it attached is a likelihood.

See attached.
Ok, I checked the reed switch and someone already hardwired it so that is not an issue.

What about the volt meter? Could that be causing a problem? It is one of those bar graph volt meters that show a state of charge but it was a 36V system before.

I guess barring some other obvious issue, I need to start checking wires to see if I have a short somewhere.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #17
rib33024

When you switched the wire on the F/R switch, did you flip the TOW/RUN switch to TOW before you switched the wires? or did you switch the wires with the cart in RUN? was there any sparks when you switched the wires?

Quote:
I decided to go out and check one last time before I posted this to make sure my wires were connected right on the F/R. I have them labeled from the disassembly but I thought I would reverse the green and the orange just to check. I did that and no power. No solenoid, no LED. I switched it back and nothing. It was working (albeit backwards) a few minutes ago and now all of the sudden no power to the controller again
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
When you switched the wire on the F/R switch, did you flip the TOW/RUN switch to TOW before you switched the wires? or did you switch the wires with the cart in RUN? was there any sparks when you switched the wires?
Yes I have been very careful with keeping the tow/run switch in tow or usually completely disconnecting the negative battery cable to be double sure. I don't want to buy another controller.

I figured out my problem with the power. One of the terminals was unplugged on the key switch. So now at least I am back to square 1 (or was it square 2....) When I flip the tow/run to run. The Alltrax controller blinks 4 times red and then goes to solid red. When the F/R switch is in Forward, the wheels turn backward. The opposite is also true. When I put it in Reverse, the wheels turn forward.

No error codes, just red instead of green LED's and everything is exact opposite......bizarro world
Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes I have been very careful with keeping the tow/run switch in tow or usually completely disconnecting the negative battery cable to be double sure. I don't want to buy another controller.

I figured out my problem with the power. One of the terminals was unplugged on the key switch. So now at least I am back to square 1 (or was it square 2....) When I flip the tow/run to run. The Alltrax controller blinks 4 times red and then goes to solid red. When the F/R switch is in Forward, the wheels turn backward. The opposite is also true. When I put it in Reverse, the wheels turn forward.

No error codes, just red instead of green LED's and everything is exact opposite......bizarro world

Wait? ... the LED is solid red and it runs?

Swap F1 and F2 on the control to fix the F&R issue.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #20
gunnardog
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, Holy Hell I thought I was going insane!!! I looked at the wiring and everything so much I finally thought I would call Alltrax to see if they could help it. It took exactly 15 seconds to fix my problem.

They had a bad run of LED lights where the LED would flash red when it was supposed to flash green. So basically when my controller was flashing four red to start and then going solid red, it was saying it was ok, ready to go.

Then the F/R problem I just needed to swap my F1/F2 Which I had tried and it worked but I was still worried about the red LED. Crazy, Right?

Anyway, after all the head scratching it turns out it was a manufacturers defect. Alltrax offered to fix it but I'm leaving it.

Thanks y'all for all of your help!!!

Tags
alltrax 400, ezgo 2007, no power, pds, trouble shooting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO