lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-Go Exhaust Valve Lash

Hi,

I've just figured out that the lack of compression in a '95 EZ-GO is caused by lack of valve lash, on the exhaust side. Intake lash was fine.

I always thought that the gap between the rocker and the valve got larger with time???? This gap closed up and disappeared. I had to loosen the screw at least 3/4 of a turn to get any lash whatsoever.

Do the valves wear into the valve seat over time, causing the reduced lash??

Do I need to do more than just adjust the valve lash again? Would you think it needs a valve job now?

It was running fine, maybe a little weak, when one day it had absolutely no power whatsoever. It would barely start. I measured the compression - 130psi on one side, 30psi on the other. Poured oil into the bad cyl and the compression jumped to almost 100psi. Appeared to be bad rings.

Now I've discovered the bad valve lash, on both cylinders. I'm surprised it ran at all. It makes me wonder if it still has a bad cyl, caused by bad rings. Unfortunately, the engine it out of the cart at the moment so I can't check the compression.

I just wondered what y'all thought.

Thanks,

Barry
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: EZ-Go Exhaust Valve Lash

Yes, thats how the lash works, normaly it's the intakes that tighten up. The valves have harden surfaces and and when they wear past the harden part they wear pretty fast so if you you need adjustment every 3 months or so you know it's time to replace the valves. New replacement valves are all harden steel so I hear, they should last much longer. If your rebuilding the engine and it's a 95, I think to be on the safe side I would replace them. It would be a bit*h to go back and do that after it was just apart
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, Jon.

I think I'm going to bolt it back into the cart just enough to test the compression again. If it's really high and equal on both sides, I'll probably skip the rings and contemplate a valve job.

If it's low on one side, I'll probably do both the rings and the valve job.

It's my brother's cart and it's a pretty low priority on his budget at the moment. haha

Barry
Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Barry
Not Yet Wild

I have a correction to make... it was built in 1994 and it's the intake valves, not the exhaust. (The two inside valves, of the four)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO